Should I let my chickens free range when it is raining?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mychickensneaky, Dec 4, 2012.

1. mychickensneaky

mychickensneaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2012
    Rescue ca
    It's pretty muddy out, 50°, and raining. Will my chickens get sick if I let them out and they get soaked? They never come in till its dark so I don't know if they will come in out of the rain on their own or stay out in the rain and get sick?

2. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    How could being in the rain make them sick?

As long as they have somewhere sheltered and dry to go as an option they will be fine. Mine usually choose to just stand in the rain.

3. mychickensneaky

mychickensneaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2012
    Rescue ca
    I don't know but I do know that when I get wet and it it chilly out I get sick. But I dont know if chickens are the same.

4. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    50 degrees and rainy sounds like perfect weather for finding worms.Thats what mine are doing right now, I still can't get them to wipe their feet before going in but they'll be fine as long as they can get into a dry coop when they want to.

2 people like this.
  5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Give them the choice. Their feathers keep their skin from getting wet most of the time. Mine spend about 50/50 in the coop and out in the rain. I'm in the PNW, so if I kept them in when it rained they'd be in until July lol!

6. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Neither you nor your chickens can get sick from being cold or wet. You both could get hypothermia if cold enough for long enough but temperature can not cause illness like a cold or the flu or a chicken disease.

You get sick from exposure to viruses or bacteria, some of which happen to be seasonal, which makes people think they are getting sick from being cold.

Here is a good explanation if you are interested.

http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/126183

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by