Should I let my cot hatch out a clutch?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by QChickieMama, Dec 15, 2011.

1. QChickieMama

QChickieMama Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 1, 2011
    She's been keeping 7 or so warm each day I go out to collect. I feel guilty taking them from her...

What are the chances they'll survive if I let her do her thing? She's in a pen w/18 others, in the barn where it's cool. There's a warming light on a timer for early morning and dusk so they'll keep laying. What do you think? Collect the eggs or let her sit?

Another option: I could remove her (plus nest box and warm eggs) to an isolation pen nearby so she could be by herself. Would that increase the odds of survival? And maybe put another female in there with her so they could take turns?

Or am I crazy to consider this during the winter? It gets down to high 20s these nights.

PLUS I have 74 in the incubator which are ready to hatch tomorrow! Hahaha!

2. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I say give her a shot, she is a mommy so she will take care of the brooding part keeping them warm under her.

Nothing cuter than seeing a mommy with a bunch of little babies following her around. One thing I would say is leave her where she is and maybe try to put a couple cages around it or something so that the others cant get near them, if you move her I would say she might be stressed and stop laying.

3. Orange Ribbon

Orange Ribbon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    I agree! It would be neat if she does hatch some out. Of course, you have to show us pictures when they hatch. [​IMG]

4. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    I would give it a try just because broody captive cots are said to be so rare. You would have bragging rights on here if she hatched them, lol.

5. QChickieMama

Oct 1, 2011
    Today we had a wonderful time watching the broody mama cot! She was making these guttural protective noises at the other quail who came near her nest. Then she hopped out, drank some water, and then ran around the whole pen like she was announcing to all of them, "Leave me alone! And don't mess with my eggs!" Then she hopped back in the nest, fluffed her feathers out to nearly double her size, and scooted each egg under her with her beak. It was fun to watch.

She has 9 under her right now. I wonder if the other mamas will give her more eggs or if they'll lay in the other nesting box now.

6. rittert3

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    Awesome, keep us posted!

7. QChickieMama

Oct 1, 2011
    So, here's a silly question: why are the other mamas not laying now that just 1 mama went broody? I went from 12/day to about 3 or 4/day.

Will they resume laying after this experiment?

8. rittert3

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    hmm, beats me.

9. QChickieMama

Oct 1, 2011
    The update from the broody mama: She gave up. I checked on her yesterday, and her eggs were cold. So, we ate the eggs for lunch, and now the other mamas are slowly resuming their laying. The mama was having to exert so much energy to fight off the other curious quail. Sigh. Oh well.

10. Tikkajazz94

Tikkajazz94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:mmm, Well if you know which one is which, than you can put her own little cage

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by