Should I let my girls outside when there is snow on the ground?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Melyssa, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Melyssa

Melyssa Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2009
    Mid-Coast Maine
    We are in Maine and we just got our first snow! I have 10 Brahmas- with the feathery feet- should I let them decide on going out or staying in during the day during the snowy season? I know they would chose to be outside, I'm just worried about cold feet!

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I would let them out. They know what they need and don't need. They are not children. They have been programmed by nature to when cold is too cold and how long to stay out and when to seek the shelter of the coop. They love being out and will scratch around in the snow for a while.

3. dichotomymom

dichotomymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    Definitely! It's fun to see them (and our cats) manuever the stuff:)

4. NoraWI

NoraWI Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2009
    SW Wisconsin
    I wouldn't if you want any eggs at all. Cold feet = fewer, if any, eggs. Of course, Brahmas don't lay well anyway. Your call...

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I'm sorry, but I disagree. My brahmas are out in whatever kind of weather we get. They played in ice storms last year. They are out right now and it's 38 degrees and drizzling rain.
    My 13 - twenty month old girls gave me 9 eggs yesterday. I expect about the same today. They finished their molt about a month ago and have been laying like gangbusters ever since.
    Edited for clarity.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  6. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    I open the run and they all stand there, looking out, like I was crazy or somethin'.....

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I would given them the option. I'm sure when their tootsies get cold they'll head for the coop!

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:I too disagree.

My brahma (large fowl) is one of my best layers so far this winter. Big, beautiful, and a great personality to boot!

9. Peepin out of the egg

Peepin out of the egg Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2009
    Canada
    gritstar!But!Wait!where do you!*(YOU) live?think of poor NoraWI she might live somewhere different!.[​IMG].[​IMG].[​IMG]

10. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Mine go out in the snow, just long enough to make a dash for the horse barn! [​IMG] The bigger girls seem to handle being in the snow longer, my RIR likes to eat it, and the ducks will hunker down and sleep in it (all curled up they look so sweet!) they have the option of going into the barn or coop but seem to like to sleep in the snow [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by