Should i let the girls name the chicks???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bradandcas, Apr 30, 2009.

1. bradandcas

bradandcas Out Of The Brooder

Just wondering what ppl think about naming their chickens especially if they have children? We have brought our chicks with the intent of obtaining free range eggs and meat.

I want my daughter to understand that chicken doesnt come from a plastic container at coles / woolworths but also dont want her to turn vegan by the time she is 4yrs from eating something she loves...

Thoughts comments would be appreciated :)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  2. GardenGirl

GardenGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Ours all have names, but we only keep them for eggs. I am letting my soon to be 3 y/o help with the naming and we surrently have a hen named Cyote and another named Vacuum ( now changed to Daisy). *sigh* Our friends have pigs on the property that are raised for all of us each year for fall butchering and all of the kids name them and feed them, but they know that they will be eaten in the fall and even at the pig roast. They learn it is part of our food chain and not to get too attached to them. We haven't had a problem yet, but the youngest are just starting to come to realization, like my son. We'll see how this group does. 3 boys all turning 3 this summer. I think it is important for them to learn where their food comes from. My friends that were raised this way say it just was a way of life for them and were not scarred in any way. On the flip side, we have friends as adults that won't go near the pigs or the pig roast because they were "pets" *sigh* and these people came from families of hunters. BTW, they won't eat venison either. I guess it will depend on the child.

Or, let her have a special egg layer that she can name and promise her that she will never be eaten and leave the rest to their own. Could be a comprimise. It is hard for kids to not name everything they come in contact with.

3. mwdh1

mwdh1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Indiana
    I would allow her to pick one or two to keep as pets (preferably pullets), then the pet chickens can have names while you still have plenty to choose from for meat and a laying flock.

4. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

The meat ones never get/got names, the layers of course get names.

5. kyliesmommax5

kyliesmommax5 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    We were having the same problem. I have 5 kids and 20 chicks! I went ahead and let them name them but they know exactly what the plan is for them. The hens we keep for laying the roosters arefor meat. And so far so good on that.I for sure have 5 pullets so I told them to name them cause we are keeping them, Good Luck:D

6. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    name layers but never meaties and never name chicks until they are at least a week old. The worst chick mortality is in that first week so wait to name them.

7. okieroy

okieroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Bethany, Ok
    We only name the ones we are keeping for pets. Last night, right after eating KFC, we had our hens in the house playing with them. Yes, playing. They like to play keep away with my little girls and one of them like to roost on my head. This makes for a very warm head and some fantastic pics.

8. Crystalchic

Crystalchic Gone for a bit

May 6, 2008
    I have a rule with my daughter and that is, she is not allowed to name anymore chicks. I have over 100 chickens that she named and if you name it you have to keep it in a child's eyes. If I sold or gave away something that she was allowed to name she would spit fire at me

9. bradandcas

bradandcas Out Of The Brooder

Thanks for that comments peeps - I think i will keep them nameless for the time being untill we can definately tell if they are M or F.

Cool my status just changed to "Hatched"

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I don't name my birds. They all have different colored bands and on different legs so I can tell them apart but I curently have all one breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by