1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Should i let them forage?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Phionex Boy, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Phionex Boy

Phionex Boy Chirping

Jul 29, 2014
    Beaufort,SC
    I really wanna let my 6 chickens forage but they are not fully grown.... IN where i live their are always hawks in the sky D:

What should i do? right now i just let them in a corner around a curb while i watch them.... THEY WANT TO BUT IM WORRIED THEY MIGHT GET INJURED OR DIE D;

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Well, yes, if you leave them out to free range they may well be injured or killed - only you can decide if that is a risk you are willing to accept or not with regards to your birds. You mention that now they are out in a corner around a curb" - are you in a suburban (town) setting or are you on a rural piece of property? Are you referring to allowing your birds to range only on your own property or proposing to allow them to range beyond your property lines? Is there any cover (shrubbery, bushes, trees) or is the area entirely open?

3. Phionex Boy

Phionex Boy Chirping

Jul 29, 2014
    Beaufort,SC
    well, My back yard and front yard is open but a few trees on the sides that come into and over our house... im thinking once our rooster is an ADULT and fully matured then i will[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: