Should I let them out of the coop if it's only 8 degrees and snow?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SoccerMomof7, Jan 15, 2009.

1. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Do I even open my coop to let them free range with it only 8 degrees out and there is snow on the ground and we are getting flurries. I know there alot of discussions on how to keep them warm, well the coop is warm but I wasn't sure if they get their "play time" when it was this cold.

2. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    I let mine have "play time" in the coop today. Brought them hunks of old bread and cantelope rind. But, yeah, its a hard call... it's 10 degrees and sunny. [​IMG] Not sunny enough!

3. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    you can open the door but I doubt if they will go out,they aint no dummies

4. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    I don't like to keep them in all day, but I am keeping them in today. It is too cold for me to even go down to the coop to collect eggs. I slipped twice on the hill going down to their coop since it is one sheet of ice covered by slippery snow! Yikes!

I think I will hang on until the weekend at least. I feel bad about it, but I read their comb can freeze right through in a matter of 10 minutes! Then I would feel real bad!

5. bethandbrian

bethandbrian New Egg

Jan 15, 2009
    Corydon, IN
    I am a new member - I'm terrified for my chickies in this cold. I don't have a heated or insulated coop. It is well-constructed but has ventilation at the top so isn't air-tight. I do have a heated waterer rigged up. I did open my coop door this AM when it was only 5 degrees F and they all went out! Should I not have done this!?[​IMG] I was reading so many things about how tough they are and people with temps in the negative teens were talking about their chickens being fine, so I tried to take my husband's advice and stop worrying so much. No I'm afraid I"ll get home from work and they'll be frozen to death!! And what about tonight -- it's going to be 1 degree F!!!![​IMG]

6. SoccerMomof7

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Do you have a heat lamp or anything you could hook up?

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Mine are free to choose if they stay in or go out. I looked out the window just now and some are out and some are inside. I don't heat my coops and never have.

8. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:You know what, chances are they will be FINE.

If you are worried though it will not kill 'em for you to shut the vents mostly or even entirely for the night. Especially if your conditions in there are good to start with, i.e. not overly damp or pooey.

Hang in there, this cold snap will be over soon [​IMG],

Pat

9. bethandbrian

bethandbrian New Egg

Jan 15, 2009
    Corydon, IN
    I do have a heat lamp hooked up that hangs above their roost. I hooked that up becuase I had read tha their little combs can get frostbitten -- I couldn't bear to know they are in pain! I believe I will stuff the vents closed with blankets tonight. I keep the inside nice and clean and dry. Trouble is we built a coop that is probably too tall, so it doesn't warm up from their body heat very well. We only have 6 chickens.

Thanks for reassuring me. I've been a nervous wreck all day.

10. SoccerMomof7

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Well I didn't worry about heating them until my rooster died and my husband swears I killed his rooster. Now I a paranoid!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by