Should I lock my Chickens in their Run until they start Laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Skytopz, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Skytopz

Skytopz Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Hi All!
    This is my first time raising chickens. I have four EE pullets that are 19 weeks old. They currently free range. I have a coop/run already constructed. I know they are close to egg laying age, does it make sense to keep them confined in their coop/run until they lay their first egg in the nests? Or will they know to return to the coop to lay their eggs? Any feedback would be great!

2. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Are their wattles/comb large and red? Also are they squatting when you walk up behind them, or bend over them? Mine do it every time I bend over to pet them

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    My ee were horrible about laying all over the place. I was constantly finding nests with a dozen or so eggs. I'd say once they show the signs above--red combs/faces, squatting, then yeah, I'd confine them. Lots of folks just keep them in later in the morning, and let them out in the pm. Most birds lay in the am, so that works well to get them to lay in the coop and still get to free range.

4. Skytopz

Skytopz Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2013
    New Hampshire
    They're not bright red yet. No squatting either. I will wait for those signs before I confne them. Thank u for your help :)!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by