Should I lockdown early? Day 23 moving duck egg

WhiteTreeOfGondor

"Even the very wise cannot see all ends.” -Gandalf
Apr 26, 2021
Upstate South Carolina
One of my duck eggs has been moving around quite a bit, should I lockdown early? When I candled today at least 2 out of 3 had what looked like the duckling pressing on the air cell and moving around a lot in that area. I don't know if that was internal pip? Would locking down early hurt any eggs that aren't ready?

I just candled and all 3 eggs look similar to this. The shadow of the duckling is down by the pencil marks, and it's moving around like crazy when I candle. It looks like it's coming into the air cell and then back out again. I didn't see the distinct shape of a bill.
IMG_20220314_205206_537.jpg

Sometimes it can be tough to tell if it is a internal pip if you see a shadow or breathing lockdown. I think your air cell looks plenty large. I think it would be fine to up the humidity to be sure membranes don't dry out.

Sometimes it can be tough to tell if it is a internal pip if you see a shadow or breathing lockdown. I think your air cell looks plenty large. I think it would be fine to up the humidity to be sure membranes don't dry out.
Would around 70% be fine, or a little higher for duck eggs?

It would be fine to lockdown early. I aimed for 70% it looks like your air cell still has a bit to draw down though. Did you weigh your eggs when you set them and now to check if they’re at the proper weight loss for lockdown? Mine started wiggling day 21/22 and I did put them into lockdown early. They hatched throughout day 28 though (they had been set in the evening so I was surprised when some were out in the wee hours of the day)

Back
Top Bottom