Should I MAKE them go out and play?

Wifezilla

Positively Ducky
11 Years
Oct 2, 2008
Colorado
They are acting like my kids used to when they were younger. They would spend all their time in their room and I would have to force them to go out an play.

Now I notice my ducks spend most of their time hiding in their hut. Sure, they come out to eat and drink (obvious by the mess
big_smile.png
), but other than that they are in their hut.

I wouldn't care EXCEPT I bought these ducks so I could get eggs. Egg production depends on sunlight and there is no sun shining in that hut!!!! :p (I have also been banned from running electricity out to the shed and I don't have money in the budget for solar lights right now. Grrr)

The back yard is completely fenced and they already see their pen and hut as their "happy place" so I have no worry about them escaping or not going to bed at night....

But seriously....should I make them go out and play???

Make them go out, even if they just stay a couple minutes. But, they probably do like the comfort of their hut. I do not think it will hurt to chase them out though.

I think I will kick them out tomorrow when I go home for lunch. I will need to get an extra water bucket, but I should have something I can use laying around somewhere...

they are probably just want to stay out of the wind huddling together... Your ducks are still new to you, and they are probably just still settling.

Remember, ducks are esp. vulenerable to stress and have long memories. Ducks hold grudges and can remember who "wronged" them for a long time. So they are probably still mad about being moved to a new home. don't worry, they'll get over it. But if you force them out of their comfy home, they will remember it and be mad at you for a long time.

But remember, ducks can DIE from being too stressed... couple the cold weather, a new owner, and home, and friends (your ducks didn't all know each other beforehand right?) and you could potentially stress them out too much. When ducks move to somewhere new, they technically are trying to join a new flock. They are probably still getting to know each other and you.

One must treat ducks the same way one would treat a toddler... with loads of Patience. A duck won't do anything it doesn't want to, just like a 2 year old. You can make them, but they will have a tantrum. lol.

It's still a little early for egg laying, esp since it's cold and dark where you are. Just try to be patient and let them do what comes naturally to them. They won't be good egg layers if they are stressed out. If you really want to get a jump on egg laying, put a light in their hut (they make ones that run on batteries if you have no electricity outside). Just turn the light on in the morning, and leave it on until the late evening. This extra light should help even if they don't want to go out in the cold. It will also provide a little bit of warmth for them too.

Good advice Nettie. I will try and be patient. Only 2 of the ducks "knew" each other before....the two khakis were raised together.

Maybe I will just leave their pen gate open so they can go in the back yard if they want to.

Hi Wifezilla
Mine stay in their duck house when it's really cold, I have worried about them not getting enough light but my campbell is laying, and I'm quite a bit north of you in Colorado. I wouldn't expect the buff or runner to lay at this time of year, but do you know how old your campbell is. If she was born later in the summer she just may be too young. Stress could also be a factor in laying. After that crazy wind Wednesday night my campbell didn't lay till early the next evening.

My ducks were all born in Spring. I wasn't expecting anything out of the Buff, but I thought for sure the khaki would be laying.

yeah, she's probably just stressed out still... I never knew ducks could hold grudges before i got mine, lol... Mine will even go on a "hunger Strike" if they are mad at me for not giving them treats. lol... Plus maybe your khakis just nervous or embarassed laying eggs in front of her new friends, lol....
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom