Should I move my broody hen?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SundownWaterfowl, May 19, 2008.

1. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I have a Silkie hen that is sitting with 2 other silkie hens. 3 of the eggs are due to hatch friday. I was wondering, since they keep exchanging eggs, if I should take her and the 3 eggs due to hatch friday, and move her to a different cage, that way all the eggs due to hatch will be under one hen and not spread out between the 3 hens. They are Gray Call Duck eggs. Will it bother her if I move her to a new pen to hatch the eggs? I dont want to have the 3 eggs hatch under different hens, because they might get up and abandon the other eggs after the 3 hatch.

2. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    I think you will be safe trying to move a silkie,and if at all possible,I would. Some of my standards are picky about where they brood,but I think silkies will brood anywhere.

3. SundownWaterfowl

When should I move her Im thinking I should move her on Tuesday or Wednesday. Also, they are up in a coop, and to get down they need to walk down a ramp and im afraid that they baby ducklings will flip right off the side and get killed.

4. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    I'd move her as soon as possible. You don't want to be bothering her after day 18.

5. SundownWaterfowl

They are call duck eggs. Today is day 22. They hatch on day 26. I will move her later today. I just fixed up her cage and wash it, now I just need to make her a nest and get a tarp to put over it. It just started to get windy and looks like it will downpour any minute. So later today I will move her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by