Should I move my coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Tammymcl, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Tammymcl

Tammymcl Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2013
    Oregon
    My coop and run are next to a large hedge that is filled with wild birds. Due to the size of the hedge, the run doesn't really get much direct sunlight. It stays nice and cool during the summer but during our rainy months, it never dries out. Should I move the run for chicken health reasons? I never seem to be able to eliminate the mites.

2. Tammymcl

Nov 6, 2013
    Oregon
    [​IMG]

3. LaurelC

LaurelC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2013
    Bothell, WA
    Have you considered installing some clear corrugated plastic roofing over a portion of the run? You could probably get a sheet of it and mount it to a pretty simple 2x4 frame and hinge it if you need access. It might not be gorgeous, but it'll get more light transmission into the run and prevent rain from getting in.

I priced it out for part of the run we're putting in, and Lowes has 4x8' sheets for $16.

4. Tammymcl

Nov 6, 2013
    Oregon
    Great idea! I'm not as worried about rain but I am thinking that being so close to the hedge could be a problem due to the wild birds. We are changing the run this spring so I can walk upright in there. Just curious if the chicken veterans think the proximity if the hedge is a problem.

5. bluefrog87

bluefrog87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2013
    Dallas, Tx
    I would move the run. With wild birds you increase your risk of avian flu and other bird disease/ parasites. Finding a drier location with more sunlight and less wild birds could increase production, lower feed cost (if the wild birds are eating your feed), and help eliminate your parasite problem.

6. Tammymcl

Nov 6, 2013
    Oregon
    Great advice:) thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by