1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Should I move them? Update and pics!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MoodyChicken, Apr 7, 2009.

1. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    I have two eggs pipped. One pipped this morning, the other this evening. They're making a lot of noise in the bator, which still has the turner on and working cause there's young eggs in there. My question is, do you think they're getting ready to start zipping? Should I move them to my hatching bator now? The only downside, I don't trust my hatching bator. The temp and humidity fluctuates too much during the night. Last time they pipped in the bator I ended up staying up all night long so they wouldn't be crushed by the turner. I'd really like to get some sleep tonight, but I'm afraid they'll hatch and get hurt. There is still just a large hole, no progress, but they've taken a long break and I think they're getting ready to zip!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  2. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Can you just turn the turner off so you don't have to open the bator. I think letting them hatch in the turner with it turned off is safer then openning the bator and risk them not hatching from the humidity drop.

3. MoodyChicken

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Quote:I would, but I have day old eggs and week old eggs and eggs of various ages in there. The turner would be off all night and that would hurt those little guys. I did this with 4 chicks two days ago. Moved em after they pipped, and only one got slightly sticky.

4. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    [​IMG]
    Dont ever do this to us agian this is stresfull , at least find another way to turn the eggs if youre gonna do this.
    have you been turning the eggs that where sapose to be hatching to , I heard that can confuse them so they have a harder time getting into the right postion.
    I have no advice except I dont think you should get much sleep tonight unless you want one legged pirate chicks in the morning. And It shoudnt hurt the eggs not to be turned for one night .

5. MoodyChicken

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    LOL Well, the four that hatched 2 nights ago were the fasting hatching chicks I've ever had. So it clearly didn't hurt them. I had every intention of moving them on day 18, but my crummy LG wouldn't keep anything right and I thought it'd be better to make life difficult and keep them warm and wet then risk them getting chilled, cooked, drowned, or stuck in the LG. Fortunately I set them all to hatch during Spring Break... so it's ok if I don't sleep! lol

6. willowcol

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    It won't hurt for the turner to be off all night, most people that hand turn only do it 3 times a day. There was a post on here a while back where someone forgot to turn for over a week and they hatched. I only turn mine 3-5 times a day and they always sit all night and I have never had a problem.

7. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    [​IMG]

8. MoodyChicken

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Yes, enjoy your coffee and watch that computer screen, cause I'm going to try to pull another near all nighter. lol. Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll just do what I did last time.

Hey, any ideas to help keep my LG stabilized? It's pretty steady during the day and only needs to be readjusted once around 3 PM, but the night is another story.

I'm going to paint now.

9. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    [​IMG]I suggest finding a almost no variation place to put it first , cause you shoudnt have to adjust it daily.
    Good luck and try takeing a few cat naps Im shure youll paint better for it

10. willowcol

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Good luck, can't wait to see the little chicks. Have you tried putting a heat sink (I think thats what they are called) in it. Some people use rocks, others use baby food jars full of water with the lid on. It can be anything that holds the heat and help keep the temp steady. Good luck and have fun painting.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by