Should I open the bator and candle?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by deineria, Apr 7, 2011.

  1. deineria

    deineria Chillin' With My Peeps

    170
    0
    99
    Aug 3, 2010
    Huntington, WV
    Chicks were due to hatch last night - 5 pipped.
    30 were viable on day 18 - noted movement in most
    5 hatched out today that had pipped - no more pips. . .
    Should I open it and take those chicks out and candle to be sure or give it another day?
    If I do candle and there is movement, will having taken them out risk losing them?
     
  2. RioLindoAz

    RioLindoAz Sleeping

    Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    I would leave them in there. The term "lockdown" is used because your not supposed to open the incubator... So don't.
    Give it two more days and have the radio on next to the incubator. They need some encouragement at this point.
     
  3. deineria

    deineria Chillin' With My Peeps

    170
    0
    99
    Aug 3, 2010
    Huntington, WV
    I just wonder the chances of any being viable after the 24 hour mark? I don't want to risk the ones that hatched on a super slime chance -
    but if I open it and found any moving if I candle, I wondered if they would have a chance to hatch. . .if put back. . .
    Are the chicks in there play with the temp at 99.5 for 3 days?
     
  4. RioLindoAz

    RioLindoAz Sleeping

    Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    Take the chicks out after they've been in there for 24 hours. Have a brooder ready...
     
  5. deineria

    deineria Chillin' With My Peeps

    170
    0
    99
    Aug 3, 2010
    Huntington, WV
    Thanks [​IMG] I'll wait and remove them in the morning then [​IMG] Hope a few more decide to hatch - lol
     
  6. debilorrah

    debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

    If you have no more pips you can remove the chicks at any time after they are dry. If you DO have pips leave them in there - they are ok for 72 hours.

    What have your temps been?
     
  7. deineria

    deineria Chillin' With My Peeps

    170
    0
    99
    Aug 3, 2010
    Huntington, WV
    Temps have been totally NUTs almost the whole time - I didn't think anything would make it - it was in a Little Giant, as my Brinsea was full.
    early on - up to even 110 - but I've candled many times after that - movement and growing right. . . on day 18 at lock down - most everyone look 100% good to go. . .
    Temps the last 5 days have been steady at - according to most of the thermometers (I have 5 in there) around 99.5
     
  8. BrattishTaz

    BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

    4,445
    18
    213
    Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I would leave them alone. You shouldn't even consider giving up on eggs until the end of day 25. Some have even had hatches as late a day 26 or 27.

    Good luck. [​IMG]
     
  9. deineria

    deineria Chillin' With My Peeps

    170
    0
    99
    Aug 3, 2010
    Huntington, WV
    I had some $$$ eggs waiting to go in - so I opened since none had pipped and I knew temps had been crazy - candled -
    something had gone wrong - no movement in any
    some had black rings - you could just tell something wasn't right . . .
    they were good on day 18, so who knows. . .

    Darn LG
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by