1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Should I or Shouldn't I?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by akcourtney, May 16, 2011.

1. akcourtney

akcourtney Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2010
    Greensboro, GA
    My Coop
    I'm excited, and a little disappointed, to have just hatched 50% of my Black Copper Maran eggs. This is my third time incubating eggs and the best percentage to date! With that said, my question to all you experts i -Should I be helping some of the chicks hatch? When should you step in and take over?

I noticed with this last batch a few eggs should've hatched. There were pecks, chips, and marks of hatchlings due to arrive, but nothing. I feel terrible that there should've been something I could've done to help them.

Here are a few pictures of my new flock. I call them the Chirp-in-dales flock - LOL!

MARLYN

[​IMG]

EBONY AND IVORY

[​IMG]

CHIRP-IN-DALES FLOCK

[​IMG]

Thanks for the advice - Angela

2. CranberryCreekFarm

CranberryCreekFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Maine
    I had my first test hatch a few weeks ago. I had 2 pips overnight, no progress the next day. So I checked and they died in shell. next 3 pipped that morning. 1 hatched too quick and ripped its cord off and died [​IMG] the other 2 were having no progress so by night I helped make their hole bigger so they could breathe and finish "absorbing". The next day one zipped teh rest of the way out, the other I had to open the entire top of the shell because of the way it was postioned in there. If I hadn't halped them, I think I woudln't have gotten any! so out of 7 eggs, I had 5 that "should have" made it.

Now I have 19 eggs (started with 24) indian runner eggs, 6 bantams, and 2 chicken eggs in my bator.... [​IMG]

I would help again in a heart beat.

3. johngracias

johngracias New Egg

May 16, 2011
    wow.....your chicks are darn beautiful. what species are they??

4. Chickiebabyfluff

Chickiebabyfluff Yappette in Training

Apr 13, 2011
    NorthEastern Ohio
    I had one this morning tht was having trouble he was half zipped and stopped so i took him out and helped him the rest of the way but it was too late.....if i had intervened earlier he would have made it He was perfect i am so broken hearted [​IMG]

5. CranberryCreekFarm

CranberryCreekFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Maine
    ^^I know how you feel! I did eggtopsies on the 2 that pipped and didnt make it and they were fine, all of my chicks but 1 had their heads tucked under their wings, preventing them from being able to spin and zip [​IMG] poor little baby chickies [​IMG]

6. Chickiebabyfluff

Chickiebabyfluff Yappette in Training

Apr 13, 2011
    NorthEastern Ohio
    I hate this part of hatching

7. akcourtney

akcourtney Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2010
    Greensboro, GA
    My Coop
    Thanks CranberryCreek - I'm guessing, with practice, I'll know when they do need a little help vs letting them hatch on their own. I agree with you ChickieBaby.. I HATE THIS PART of hatching. I get pretty bummed out when the little guys/gals make it so far and just can't complete the jailbreak.

John, they are Black Copper Marans - I'm not sure where the wheats came from, I'm thinking splash? Not sure and will need to ask the breeder - I bought the eggs specifically for a new flock of BCM. There is one little tiny silkie in there. When I started the Marans, I tossed two of my silkie eggs in the batch to hatch. (my silkies just started laying) Anyway, I won't be adding silkies eggs to a large breed hatch again. I forgot they hatch a little early and the poor little one was very upset to be alone for those few days. It broke my heart....

Angela

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by