Should I paint the inside of an old coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Bnstorms, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Bnstorms

Bnstorms New Egg

May 30, 2015
    I have two coops: a large, walk-in coop for the adult chickens and a smaller, transitional coop for younger chooks/separating a sick member from the rest of the flock.

I am in the process of updating the coops and doing some minor repairs to both of them. Should I invest time in painting the inside while I am at it? Do you guys like having a painted inside? Both coops are just plain wood at this point.

I would like to brighten the inside of the coops and possibly make it easier to work in.

Could you guys give me some pros and cons (if there are any) or some suggestions?

I really appreciate it!

2. cypressdrake

cypressdrake Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2012
    Thibodaux, Louisiana.
    There is no harm in painting the coop. If it'll look better then I'd do it. A lil new paint can sure make anything look better. It may even make it easier to clean the coop.

3. barneveldrerman

barneveldrerman Chillin' With My Peeps

Their is no reason why you can't. It will defenently make the coop nicer. I can't think of any cons to give you.

Good Luck!

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    The only functional Pro I can think of is to increase the reflective light inside by using white or light colored paint.

Con.....too much work and expense to prep and paint it well just for 'pretty'.

5. N F C

N F C eggnog time! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Maybe more of a question than an answer...won't painting the inside help seal the wood to prevent so many hiding places for mites? I read somewhere on here that's why painting the wood nesting boxes was a good idea, figured it would be good for the inside of the coop too.

We painted the inside of ours because it was a dark, dingy wreck when we started. It's a light brighter and nicer painted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by