1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Should I paint the inside of the coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by DreamsInPink, Apr 13, 2016.

1. DreamsInPink

DreamsInPink Chillin' With My Peeps

I've tossed this back and forth and I've still not come up with what I want to do.

I was told by someone that painting it would cause it to hold more moisture. Is that true??

So should I or shouldn't I? And why or why not?

Thank you!

2. Edenbridget

Edenbridget Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2015
    Clinton County
    I would think that with proper ventilation, holding moisture wouldn't be an issue. I know a lot of people paint it to make cleaning easier. I personally didn't paint it only because my chickens were weeks past putting in the coop before we got it built, so I didn't have time to wait for it to dry

3. DreamsInPink

I didn't think it would make a difference either. I think I got weird information. Lol

I hear you on the chicks being beyond needing to be in the coop!! Mine is almost ready. I'm praying to have happy cluckers by the weekend! :)

4. TerryH

TerryH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2016
    NW Arkansas
    My Coop
    I can't think of a reason not to paint the inside of a coop. Will certainly be easier to clean, brighter, and way easier to see mites or whatever if you have an infestation.

5. DreamsInPink

Thank you! I never thought about being able to see mites easier!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by