Should I paint the roost and ramp?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chocobo, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Chocobo

Chocobo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    I want to be able clean the roost and the ramp easily but I'm afraid if I use the same gloss or semi gloss paint I'm planning for the inside walls then the chickens will slip and not get a good grip.
    Any suggestions on the best way to handle this? [​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I don't paint them but I'm also not fastidious about perfect cleanliness either.

3. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    You could paint them, then while the paint is still sticky, sprinkle some sand on them. You have paint and the girls have traction.

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I painted my ramp & have seen photo's of people who painted their roost.

5. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    I didn't get around to painting my most recent ramp and am sorry about that. It's rotting away! I'm about to make a new one and it WILL be painted. I put on 2 coats, then sprinkle sand on the second while it's still wet, for traction. Works great!

6. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I've used ramp with cleats are added but found that dirt would accumulate in front of them. The last several coops I've built I staple a strip of welded wire to the ramp. It provides excellent traction with minimal dirt accumation.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  7. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

unfortunately, I don't have any roost [​IMG] they simple sleep on a wood box.. [​IMG]

but, I think it would be great if you paint them since that will make it last longer. [​IMG]

8. Chocobo

Chocobo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    If I put sand on the paint would that make it harder to clean? I would think a scraper might catch on the sand grains and take paint off with it.

9. m_shuman

m_shuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Springfield, GA
    I painted mine with Duramax semi gloss exterior paint (the paint and primer all in one) they don't seem to have a problem sitting on the roosts or walking up the ramp. I would think that putting sand on it would make it harder to clean. I wipe mine down with a rag after squirting it with the hose about once a week to keep the white clean.

10. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    Quote:I don't paint roosts. They don't usually poop on roosts anyway--they poop off the back of them. [​IMG] And I don't find that my chix poop on the ramp--they are just using it to come and go so it seems to stay pretty clean. Hose it off a few times a year--that does it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by