Should I paint the roost ?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Bearsfan, May 22, 2010.

1. Bearsfan

Bearsfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
    Hannibal, MO
    Should I paint it or leave it natural? It is a 2x4. I was thinking that since they will be walking on it all the time they would scratch the paint off.

What do you think?

2. AnnainMD

AnnainMD Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    Eldersburg, MD
    Paint, paint and paint again. I did 3 coats of exterior latex semi-gloss (on top of the primer) and it is soooooo easy to clean. They won't scratch it off, it will take a really long time for the paint to wear off. You won't regret painting it, but you may regret NOT painting it. Good luck!

3. Elphaba2140

Elphaba2140 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    Thanks for the post. I just had the same question run through my head. We (LOL well my better half) are putting on the doors, the handle is on, the wheels got on, and it has shingles. Paint the roost it is!!

4. sandiatonimarie

sandiatonimarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2009
    I have an unpainted roost and ramp - I know better now! Definitely paint and I'll be painting mine also.

5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I've never painted any of my roosts. When they need cleaning, I just give them a quick scrape with a very sharp scraper, that I keep in the coop. It only takes a couple of seconds.

6. Bearsfan

Bearsfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
    Hannibal, MO
    Thanks for the replies!

It is painted with exterior white now. [​IMG]

7. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I was wondering the same thing...isn't it kind of slick painted? Does the paint chip off when you scrap it?

8. AnnainMD

AnnainMD Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    Eldersburg, MD
    Quote:I haven't needed to scrape the roost--the poop just kind of comes off (because it's not a porous surface like the bare wood would be). If you have a hard spot to get off, just wet it a bit and wipe it off. Super easy and I know it gets clean (versus poop embedded in the grain).

9. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I'm thinking that the painted roosts get washed, instead of scraped.

10. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    With paint, you should be able to just hose it off and the poo will come off. There might be a few spots to scrub a little more, but generally water will take care of it. I'm so thankful for a painted interior on my coop!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by