Should I Panic?

elizardbreath

In the Brooder
Jun 17, 2015
Northern Michigan

This morning my daughter accidentally knocked a piece of insulation down in the chicken coop. She didn't realize it could be a problem and she just left it on the floor of the coop... When I checked on them after work, I found numerous little bites taken out of it. Sigh.

Should I panic? It looks like it was snacked upon all day and I can't imagine that foam insulation is good for them. I don't want to overreact and make a big fuss over nothing, but I also don't want to under react either. Any suggestions for me?

At this point all you can really do is observe them and respond if they begin to show any issues -- you'll be monitoring crop condition, overall signs of health and waste for abnormalities.

I'd just keep an eye on them. While it's not great, mine decided to go at a metal pan once (aluminum disposable), and they have gone after the styrofoam egg cartons a couple times. Thankfully, they've been alright. I learned never to use disposable pans in the run for treats, and to never leave the egg cartons unattended.

Thank you for the replies. I'll just watch them and hope for the best. My daughter feels awful and will be so happy to hear that her "girls" will, most likely, be just fine. Hopefully it will be a lesson learned for her....

Back
Top Bottom