Should I pierce my cartilage?

Scooter&Suzie

Songster
9 Years
Jun 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I know it may be weird that I am asking it on here, but I love you guys with your opinions. But, anyway... So I really like how it looks and have used magnetic ones, but they easily fall out. I already have a single piercing on ear ear lobe. I think I will like it until I start getting into my 60s and up. Will the hole show, or will it not be obvious when I take it out? I won't wear heavy earrings with it, though. Soo... Did anyone do it only to regret it? Or do you love yours? Guys and girls opinions both are welcome :) And I don't care how young or old you are, I still want your honest opinion.

I've had mine for a few years now (since I was 19, I'm 23 now) and I tend to forget I have it. If you have it done professionally (like should be done with all piercings no matter what) the hole won't be obvious when the earring is out. I keep a 14 gauge ring in mine, which is standard size for most piercings. It's a piercing that isn't obvious unless your hair is short or you keep your hair in a ponytail. Even then, most people don't realize I have it or the 6 other piercings. (3 in each ear, not including the cartilage in my right ear.) But then, lip rings tend to take up all the attention.
lol.png

If you choose to take it out and let it close after it heals (never, ever take out anything that hasn't healed. Infection can get trapped under the skin) the skin on the outside of your ear will heal over and you'll never see where it was, but the cartilage may or may not close. I was forced to take mine out at one point after it healed and after it closed up I still had a hole in my cartilage. It was for the better since I had plans to have it re-pierced. I'm happy to have it back.

Keep in mind that it can take up to a year or more after piercing to fully heal. During that time it needs to be cleaned at least twice a day and no more than three times daily. There is a such thing as over cleaning and it can prevent the piercing from healing. Any pro piercer will tell you that the best thing to clean it with is a sea salt soak.

If you like the way the magnetic ring looks, then I don't think you'll have issues with the real thing. Keep in mind that everyone is different and while it didn't hurt for me, you may or may not be able to handle it. The popping does feel weird as the needle goes through the layers of skin and cartilage.

One more thing and I swear I'm done.
lol.png
If a 'pro' tries to use a piercing gun on you get up and get out of there! They're bad enough being used on ears, but it can cause serious injury to cartilage. It may be quick, but it's not worth potentially losing your ear.

I'm not a pro, but I do know my stuff. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'm always willing pass along what I know!

I've had mine for a few years now (since I was 19, I'm 23 now) and I tend to forget I have it. If you have it done professionally (like should be done with all piercings no matter what) the hole won't be obvious when the earring is out. I keep a 14 gauge ring in mine, which is standard size for most piercings. It's a piercing that isn't obvious unless your hair is short or you keep your hair in a ponytail. Even then, most people don't realize I have it or the 6 other piercings. (3 in each ear, not including the cartilage in my right ear.) But then, lip rings tend to take up all the attention.
lol.png

If you choose to take it out and let it close after it heals (never, ever take out anything that hasn't healed. Infection can get trapped under the skin) the skin on the outside of your ear will heal over and you'll never see where it was, but the cartilage may or may not close. I was forced to take mine out at one point after it healed and after it closed up I still had a hole in my cartilage. It was for the better since I had plans to have it re-pierced. I'm happy to have it back.

Keep in mind that it can take up to a year or more after piercing to fully heal. During that time it needs to be cleaned at least twice a day and no more than three times daily. There is a such thing as over cleaning and it can prevent the piercing from healing. Any pro piercer will tell you that the best thing to clean it with is a sea salt soak.

If you like the way the magnetic ring looks, then I don't think you'll have issues with the real thing. Keep in mind that everyone is different and while it didn't hurt for me, you may or may not be able to handle it. The popping does feel weird as the needle goes through the layers of skin and cartilage.

One more thing and I swear I'm done.
lol.png
If a 'pro' tries to use a piercing gun on you get up and get out of there! They're bad enough being used on ears, but it can cause serious injury to cartilage. It may be quick, but it's not worth potentially losing your ear.

I'm not a pro, but I do know my stuff. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'm always willing pass along what I know!

Wow, thanks for your answer! I almost fainted when I only got my ear lobes pierced (my senses started shutting down, such as sight, hearing, balance, my mind was foggy) so I wonder what will happen if I get my cartilage pierced. It wasn't the pain, it was the fact that I felt something in my ear, I think. This only happened one other time, when someone was explaining how bullets were taken out of soldiers and how limbs were amputated during the Revolutionary War (or was it Civil? I can't remember). So I think I will get it and make sure that the person doing it knows I could faint or come close and have water nearby.

Ok, so maybe I'm a little behind the times (better than being a "big" behind the times, eh?)
wink.png
However, what do you mean about pierced cartilage? The cartilage in your ear or nose? If you mean your ear and you're hesitant, perhaps you can look into earrings such as these that give the impression of multiple piercings and come in different lengths but use just the one hole:

http://www.uptheear.com/

If you meant nose, please disregard the above. Good luck!

Last edited:
Ok, so maybe I'm a little behind the times (better than being a "big" behind the times, eh?)
wink.png
However, what do you mean about pierced cartilage? The cartilage in your ear or nose? If you mean your ear and you're hesitant, perhaps you can look into earrings such as these that give the impression of multiple piercings and come in different lengths but use just the one hole:

http://www.uptheear.com/

If you meant nose, please disregard the above. Good luck!

Oh, I'm sorry, I always say cartilage but then most people don't know what I am talking about... Yeah, I mean in my ear :)

Lets see if this picture will post:
10594pw150.jpg

This is a pretty close picture to what I want.

Back
Top Bottom