Should I process sex links?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by ChrisS, Aug 21, 2011.

1. ChrisS

ChrisS Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2011
    Gastonia NC
    I got some cornish x about 6 weeks ago and now it appears I have a few male RSL mixed in with them. I don't want to keep them and would really hate to give them away after feeding them for 6 weeks but is it worth the trouble to process them? And when can I do it?

2. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    Heck yeah it's worth it. I assume, since you are raising meat birds, you have no qualm with killing and eating a chicken.

You can eat them anytime you want to. Not sure how RSLs grow but I would guess you might want to wait until they are ten weeks or so. If you don't want to feed them another month, kill them now.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Might as well eat them. Do them at their tiny size with the rest for something like a game hen, or wait another month or two for a bit more meat.

4. Connorrm

Connorrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    I wonder if they were the packing peanuts.

5. ChrisS

Jul 5, 2011
    Gastonia NC
    I'm pretty sure they were just extras, cause I got all the cornish x I ordered. And the most that I'll be able to keep them is 2 more weeks cause I have more on the way. So I guess they'll just be tiny single severs.

6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Sure put-em in- the-stew-pot, there won't be much meat but they should eat well. so yeah serve them up.

7. Two Creeks Farm

Two Creeks Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    Waste not want not:D

8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Some of the white RSL roos aren't all that bad, actually. Some have enough Rock and/or Delaware DNA in them to be OK. Very popular "free" meat bird around these parts. Most don't butcher them until they are 18 weeks.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  9. Jared77

Jared77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Howell, MI
    He's still going to taste like chicken. Id process him when your doing your last batch of CX. Then into the crockpot, shred the meat with Mexican seasonings.

10. ChrisS

Jul 5, 2011
    Gastonia NC
    Well good to know it won't be a waste of meat! Just wondering though, how difficult would it be to integrate these with new group of CX so I can get a little more meat?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by