Should I put a brooder lamp in the coop?

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by chickenmomma2, Feb 9, 2013.

1. chickenmomma2

chickenmomma2 Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2012
    Hi! One of my Buffs went brood 20 days ago and she has 9 eggs under her. I've heard chirping and 3 eggs are beginning to hatch. She has been a VERY GOOD momma and has only been off the nest twice in the past 20 days.

My question is:
    I'm in Richmond, VA where our weather is constantly changing. The high today should be 45 but we have a north wind screaming across the fields. Over the next 7 days the nightly lows will fluctuate between 25 - 43 and the day highs should be between 46 and 62 with rain and snow in the forecast around the 17th.

The temperature in the coop is 42 right now.

I'm wondering if I should put a brood lamp in the coop for the babies to supplement momma. She is currently in a nest box about 12 inches off the ground. I'm concerned the babies may get out of the nest box and get back to momma. What do you think?

Thanks for your feedback.

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Chillin' With My Peeps

Momma knows best. If she kicks a chick out it is for a reason. Let nature take its course.

Congratulations!

3. chickenmomma2

May 27, 2012
    Oh, I couldn't do that. I need to give the babies a fighting chance. No offense, but that's just cold.[​IMG]

4. loanwizard

It's ok, that's the difference between a farmer raising livestock and a pet owner. Not a problem at all.

5. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    haha i agree, I would raise it for myself if she rejected it. Lol!

But i would reccomend separating her from the rest of the flock, i have mine in a little brooder i made just for occassions like broodies haha, but some people use a dog kennel filled with straw so she can make her own nest, and fresh water and feed. they wont need a heat lamp, just a tarp over it to protect her from predators and the weather. put her in it at night, when its the darkest it can get.

6. chickenmomma2

May 27, 2012
    I like to think of myself as a chicken farmer but I'm such a softy when it comes to any animals. I just started raising chickens a year ago, so I'm new to the game. I have a friend that raises cattle and horses. When she hauls off and whomps them it bothers me, but I know it needs to be done. When my roos started getting nasty with each other, one in particular, I took him into the run and had a "come to Jesus" meeting with him. He knows when I pick up a stick something is going to happen to someone. :)

I'm pleased to say that 5 of the 9 eggs hatched. The last chick got out of the nest box and couldn't get back in. She was nestled under the brood lamp with another chick when I went out to check on them. I moved momma down to the first floor so the chicks could come and go.

I've been told I spoil my chickens. But, they have been producing quite well. At least earning their keep. I sell enough eggs each month to pay for their feed. And that's not too bad with 29 hens of which only 26 are old enough to lay.

Take care.

7. loanwizard

Lest you think I am some kind of serial chicken killer, I do love my animals. I lost a hog this year that I couldn't figure out what was wrong with her. As she lay dying on her last night, I bedded down beside her in the hay to try to keep her warm. I should have shot her, but I thought I could save her. I slept with her for about 2 hours. By morning she passed.

Another time I had left the tarp off the brooder trailer and had 12 or so chicks, soaked, laying out stiff and cold.... but amazingly enough.... breathing. I scooped them into a box, Carla microwaved a blanket and I got out the hair dryer and blow dried them.... on low of course. I was incredulous, but every single one of them survived and are out in the barn today.

So, I am not heartless, but a pretty firm believer in Darwins Natural Selection/survival of the fittest.

Shawn

8. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    aww we have a goat who got sick a month ago, she was down. we thought no way could she live! so we had the gun at her head but couldnt pull the trigger. so we decided to tube feed her and shes doing great now. .. i still cant believe it!!

9. chickenmomma2

May 27, 2012
    Aw, I didn't mean to imply you were heartless. I just know that famers don't have the time to spoil their animals like some of us "raised in the city" folks do. I would have done the same.....slept with the hog until something happened. One of my hens was covered in blood from her comb (one of the roos was after her) and I brought her in, bathed her and blow dried her. I was surprised she would allow me. But she did. When my first brood of chicks hatched, I had one I knew was not going to make it. So I held her on my chest until she passed. I believe all animals deserve compassion.

I respect the farmer and know it is hard work. My ancestors were farmers in the mountains of Virginia. It can be a tough life.

10. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If she can keep the eggs warm enough to hatch them then surely she can keep the chicks warm enough.
    Definitely don't add heat and the chicks will be better for it.

As for saving a wimpy bird, it will always be wimpy and if it breeds in the future, saving it will only weaken the breed. Just sayin!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by