Should i put a ladder up for my roost?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ReillyJ, Aug 24, 2014.

1. ReillyJ

ReillyJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2014
    Snohomish, WA
    Roosting pole is about 4.5 to 5 ft off the ground, i think when they come off it they usually fly into the run and the run is concrete, right now one of my hens is slightly favoring a leg, maybe when i go out to feed in the a.m. i should gently take her off the roost...

Anyone have a ladder and do they use it?

Also my roosting pole is a 1" x 2" , should i flip it so they roost on the 2" side, they're on the 1" side? It'll be kind of a PITB but i will do it for their comfort

Here's what their coop looks like, obviously it's now cleaned out, hardware wire around it, pine shavings on the floor and roost and nesting box installed, they also free range during the day but i think they fly off the roost onto the concrete floor, don't know if it matters or i'm over thinking or if i do put a ladder in if they'd even use it.

[​IMG]

Here's the roosting board
    [​IMG]

2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    You really need to lower that roost. Especially with them landing on concrete. A couple foot high is even high enough.

ETA: keep it at its widest point also.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  3. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    I have a ladder in my run, built from 2x3's with the wide side up. The ladder is 5' wide, and has 5 levels each at the 1 foot mark from each other. The chickens use it all the time. My roo likes to be on top with his favorite hen by his side. Everyone else occupies the lower levels.

I would definitely provide intermediate roosts going up to the top one. Chickens can hurt themselves jumping down that far.

4. ReillyJ

ReillyJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2014
    Snohomish, WA

i'm trying to picture that ladder, don't think i'd have room in my roost for something like that but i will lower my roost, it's 4' high, not 5'. And i'll turn the roost so it'll be on the 2" instead of 1" side. i have plenty of bedding on the coop floor but i think they fly off into the run. Tomorrow i will lift them off the roost until we can get it lowered. It's always something!!

Is 3ft too low? Seems weird to have a roost that low but don't want them hurting themselves... Also the large one is a Wyandotte and she's the one that's limping a bit

Also the roost bar is 1" x 2", should i put a larger one in? (i'll have to see i have a 2 x 4, don't know if i have one)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  5. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    A 3 foot roost is not too low. I define too low when a chicken can't comfortably walk under the roost! I have mine set at 30", but you could go as low as 18" without too much issue. Not sure what your winters are like in WA, but if they are cold, providing a 2x3 or 2x4 roost (larger side up) allows them to sit on their feet and cover them with their body, thus keeping their feet warm. If it is smaller, they grip the roost instead, and their toes hang down being more exposed. I used 2x3's cause I had them on hand.

You can barely see my ladder in the outdoor run in the following picture. If you click on it, it shows a larger version. Its the diagonal board in the 3rd window panel from the left on the shorter section of the coop / run (just to the right of the white ducks). To build one, mount the diagonal end supports at the top and bottom (the top is attached to support posts in my run, and the bottom is simply resting on the ground) and then cut the horizontal boards to fit between the diagonals, and screw them in place. The angle of the diagonals is not critical, but somewhere around 45 degrees looked right to me.

[​IMG]

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I can't tell what is what in those pics........the roost looks too small and too close to the wall, but I'm not sure.

Roost needs to just be a foot higher than the nests....everything is relative.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by