Should I put down my baby quail? They can't walk

Discussion in 'Quail' started by zoneims, Mar 7, 2013.

1. zoneims

zoneims Hatching

Mar 7, 2013
    Hi there, I hope someone has some advice

I have 5 baby quail in the brooder, 3 are fine, healthy and active, I have two that can bearly stand up or walk about now. They both lie on their sides or backs, kicking around with their legs to move around, I don't believe it is spraddle leg. When they do manage to get up they just loose their balance or fall again.

I am keeping them hydrated with a syringe and water and helping to feed them where I can.

They seem to be deteriorating. One (chinese painted) - had struggled to hatch at birth and had to be helped out the egg. His condition was noticeable straight away but he did improve and was walking reasonably well. He now can barely walk at all.

The second (japanese quail) seemed to hatch very quickly and was incredibly active the first day, running around everywhere, very active, now he lies on his back most of the time and can barely walk.

What can I do for them? Would it be kinder to put them to sleep?

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. kenazzo2000

kenazzo2000 Songster

Apr 13, 2010
    malta [europe]
    I think they will die but i wouldnt give up

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member 7 Years

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Not all quail are meant to survive to adulthood. And usually any chick that needs help out of the egg has many issues and generally they don't make it. Natures way of weeding out the weak ones.

If they are suffering and not living a quality life, then it is best to put them down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by