Should I put her outside for the day? Is it to cold?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BeccaSmith, Mar 23, 2012.

1. BeccaSmith

BeccaSmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Meridian, ID
    I have a hen that has been ill and indoors for a couple of months. I believe she is on the road to recovery and she is bored in my bathroom. I put her outside in a sheltered and gated area yesterday, it was 50 degrees yesterday morning, today it is 38 and I am a little concerned since she is not used to those temps. I can't make it home during the day so she is either in or out the entire day, so I have to make a decision quick! What should I do....would she be ok with the cold until it warms up....temps should get to 60+ today.

2. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    i bet she'll be ok outside if it's getting to 60s it'll warm up pretty quick. especially if she can get some direct sun.

3. BeccaSmith

BeccaSmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Meridian, ID
    Well since I have her in a covered shelter area she won't get any direct sun since the opening is facing North. I figured she would be happier out there and would be ok while it was cold for just a couple of hours. The sheltered area does hold some heat in where she is so I had to make a quick decision and put her out for the day know it would warm up. I just hate to shock her if there is a risk of that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by