Should i put it out of it's misery???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Syharrison, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Syharrison

Syharrison Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2011
    I cant upload pics until i get my digicam lead, however i have a 4 day old tux quail with it's legs slightly splayed and its feet severely curved (i forgot the term is it sprat?)
    i've tried "home surgery" with tape but the ankles are bent so i dont know if this is helping or hindering. i consider "letting it go" but it could be a content egg layer? any advice? thank you.

2. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Yea it seems like it's pretty "disfigured". Wait a week. If it can't walk or has trouble walking on its own then you know that you should let it go. My rooster only had bent toes and he was able to survive and walk fine. Everything sounds fixable but when you said it has a bent ankle too thats kind of worrisome. Wait a couple days.

3. Syharrison

Dec 7, 2011
    What you think :S lol thank you.

[​IMG][​IMG]

4. MyHappyChicks

MyHappyChicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2012
    Please do what should be done and put the bird down. That is no life for any bird to have to live with. He probably won't live very long the way it is. Sorry if I sound blunt. Just have mercy.

5. Syharrison

Dec 7, 2011
    you're not blunt, you're right, thank you. it shall be done.

6. KrisH

KrisH Chillin' With My Peeps

tthere is no right or wrong answer. but there are some treatments for spraddle leg issues under emergencies, but there are no guarantees. also it gets tougher to put them down the longer you wait and get attached.

Sorry you are blth dealing with this though

RobertH

7. If you ask me don't kill it if its not in pain there is people who could take it in but do what you have to.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  8. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Eh yea. Its a mess. I don't think you'll be able to fix that. Sorry.

9. Syharrison

Dec 7, 2011
    i said a little prayer for him and put him to sleep this morning. thanks all for your assistance

10. champer

champer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    San Martin, CA
    [​IMG] Sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by