1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Should i put the turner in?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by thechickman04, May 15, 2008.

1. thechickman04

thechickman04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Cumming, Georgia
    i have eggs in the incubator that i have been hand turning. They are on day 14. Someone gave me a turner today, and i was wondering if i should put the eggs in the turner or keep doing what im doing?

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    My thoughts...I would continue hand turning for this hatch of eggs.......use the turner from the start if you set another hatch...and if your addicted like the rest of us, yup, you will set another and another and another [​IMG]

3. thechickman04

thechickman04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Cumming, Georgia
    yes im addicted

4. My Little Sister's Farm

My Little Sister's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    Forest Grove, Oregon
    Studies show that after 14 days turning isn't going to effect your hatch. Some people argue this that you have to do it til day 19, and I do it until day 19. But you aren't going to change your odds of hatchability by not using the turner. Save it for your next hatch. You should clean it really well before using it the first time anyway. You don't really know where it's been, it could use a good scrub down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by