should I put them in the bator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bluedawg, Oct 31, 2008.

1. bluedawg

bluedawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Croton on Hudson
    So I got some eggs from ebay and they just arrived. They are blue laced red wyandotts. Yesterday I put beautiful black copper marans eggs in and these wyandotte eggs don't look clean and healthy to me... but I am new at this. When I looked at some candling photos in the "learning center" these eggs look like the photo that says "this egg may be contaminated with bacteria" So I don't want to put them in with my good eggs. Am I being too cautious?

-M

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    I would put them in and see if any develop !! You wont know if they are good in till you try (as long as none stink or are leaking). Did the air sacs look ok ??

3. bluedawg

Jul 7, 2008
    Croton on Hudson
    I am getting set up to have a god second look at them now. I will have to review the learning section to see what I am looking for in an egg sac. My only concerne in putting them in with the other eggs was if they could contaminate my other eggs. If they hve bacteria could they?

4. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    They just arrived? I wait 6 hours - 24 hours before they go in the bator.

5. bluedawg

Jul 7, 2008
    Croton on Hudson
    yes I will wait - I have some time to decide.
    -M

6. bluedawg

Jul 7, 2008
    Croton on Hudson
    I see a good air pocket in there. But they are so severely pock marked I m afraid they might be unhealthy.

7. ItsSuzzie

ItsSuzzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok, I want to incubate, and will start soon. I have been reading on the internet in groups like this one, etc. Yes, I agree..when you receive hatching eggs from the mail the embryos need to settle down. Your eggs need to settle with the air sac up, large end up.

As for cleaning eggs. I have heard from some that they use a solution on the eggs for cleaning, while other resources say no, it pushes the bacterias into the egg and could harm or kill the chick.
    If it needs to be cleaned, the recomendation is to use sand paper on the shell lightly. I have not come across this delima yet.

But if the eggs are full of bacteria, yes, it can spread to the eggs that are already inside your incubator, and the incubator itself.

You have to weigh it out. If you take the chance you also accept the risks.

I might suggest the 4H Club online for suggestions.

Good luck!![​IMG]:fl

8. bluedawg

Jul 7, 2008
    Croton on Hudson
    Thanks!

9. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    What are you seeing that is making you think they arent good ?? Do the shells look speckled ??

10. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    What do you mean by pockmarked? And how dirty are you talking? You don't want to wash the eggs and I wouldn't use sand paper either. The eggs have pores (this is how the embryo breaths and why it's so greatly effected by humidity.)

I can understand your hesitation...BCM's aren't cheap! And you know, the Maran eggs could have been dirtier than you think, and the shell just too dark to show it! You could always put the BLRW's on the other side of the bator....I think they'd probably be fine but it's your judgement call.

Good luck either way!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by