Should I raise Barred Rocks or Buff Orpingtons?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by wjallen05, May 28, 2010.

1. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    I am ordering baby chicks from Ideal- I am getting 3 BO pullets and 3 BR pullets but I can't decide which breed to get a male. Don't tell me both I don't have room for both... I already have two Silkie and one game roosters. Which would you pick and why?
    TIA!

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    If that were my only choice, I'd get the BO rooster. The only reason is that the chicks with the BO rooster and the Barred Rock hens will be black sex links. As far as egg production, meat production, personality, etc. it does not matter, but I'd do it just for the fun of getting the sex links. Of course, if the other roosters can get to these hens or if you hatch eggs from your other chickens in the same incubator or under the same broody, you may not be able to tell which are the sex links, but that is another question.

3. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    BO's I think are the more docile. Though I have to say I wouldn't order from Ideal. I did and of the breeds I got there are too many that miss the mark of the breed ordered. Do yourself a favor and if you haven't ordered from Ideal go elsewhere.

4. wjallen05

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    Thanks for the reply. And- I don't house my roosters with my hens unless I pair them up to get some fertile eggs.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:I agree.

6. wjallen05

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    well, I'm not looking for show quality, I just want eggs. I love roosters and had to sell all mine (but two cockerels that luckily hadn't sold yet and I was able to keep) and my show quality Ameraucanas and Silkies(except for my Splash cockerel) when we thought we were moving but the bank ended up messing up the title to the house and couldn't close on the third closing date we had set so we said forget it and didn't reapply for the loan for the third time (what a mess...). we weren't supposed to have roosters there so I'm actually glad we didn't get the house (I didn't know the covenants until after we signed the contract).

7. myway57

myway57 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2009
    blanchard La.
    I have both... i like the barred rock....no wait i like the Buffs.......i had same problem i just got both ......they rock!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    I love BO roos [​IMG] So large and soft

9. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Quote:Said the same thing about breeding til I got to involved. I'm still not looking ro show quality but I'd like to make sure what breeds is the breed it's supposed to be. If you get a roo your going to sell chicks it's just the way it is and you want to be able to say a BO is a BO and not some mixed up mess like I got with my CM's. I got two from Idea that are useless for breeding.

You want a BO or BR that can't breed decent chicks I dont'. Stay away from Ideal.

As for buying the house pick one you'd want to stay in for the rest of your life if you had to. We nearly got stuck in one in the city cuz things happen. Thank God we are where we are now. Be patient the process never goes smooth and I expect it's worse now. Get one with as much land as you can.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by