Should I raise my nest boxes?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by littlelemon, Oct 11, 2007.

1. littlelemon

littlelemon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2007
    Ohio
    I notice that many of you have raised nest boxes in your coops. I have 2 laying hens at the moment and they will not lay in the nest boxes I have for them. I use 2 plastic milk crates that are only about 4" off the ground. We have tried putting a golf ball in the nest box, putting a fabric flap over the entrance to make the box dark, but the hens still make a nest on the coop floor and lay their eggs there. We have had a few cracked eggs! We can't raise the boxes too high as our coop is only 2ft high on one end and 3ft high on the other, but would a little bit help? Do hens prefer a raised nest box?

2. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    Seems like your hens like the floor. What if you put the nest boxes on the floor, and when they start [​IMG] using the boxes you can raise them. I don't know if it really matters, tho. You can leave them on the ground and put plenty of straw in the boxes so the eggs will be protected. Mine make a hole in the straw until they're down to the wood, so I get cracked eggs sometimes. I'm planning on putting some foam board down when I clean out the coop soon... Chickens are creatures of habit and it just may take some time to retrain them. Good Luck!

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Just so you know...
    Chickens will eat any type of foam.

4. littlelemon

littlelemon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2007
    Ohio
    Quote:Mine do the same thing. They bury down to the floor, lay the egg, and then cover it up. We usually have to dig for the eggs.

5. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    Yes, I know they eat foam, boy do I know! But, this foam is covered in paper and there will be straw over it. If I notice they start eating it, I'll be sure to take it out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by