Twoheartshatchery

In the Brooder
Oct 5, 2020
I recently started a small family owned hatchery in Southern California. Right now I’m selling all the popular egg laying chickens and Coturnix quail. The quail in particular have been very profitable due to how quickly they grow start laying eggs.

I recently saw some pheasants in person for the first time and fell in love. Im thinking about adding pheasants to the mix. Probably ring neck because they seem to be the most popular. However, I have never raised pheasants before. Are they profitable if I was to sell chicks? I know their laying season is short So I’m hesitant. I have a 10x20 coop I could put them in so following the 14 sq foot per bird rule I have room for 14 birds.

What are your thoughts?

I recently started a small family owned hatchery in Southern California. Right now I’m selling all the popular egg laying chickens and Coturnix quail. The quail in particular have been very profitable due to how quickly they grow start laying eggs.

I recently saw some pheasants in person for the first time and fell in love. Im thinking about adding pheasants to the mix. Probably ring neck because they seem to be the most popular. However, I have never raised pheasants before. Are they profitable if I was to sell chicks? I know their laying season is short So I’m hesitant. I have a 10x20 coop I could put them in so following the 14 sq foot per bird rule I have room for 14 birds.

What are your thoughts?
Ringnecked pheasants are not all that popular for most peeps wanting to raise ornamental pheasants (popular for hunting) nor profitable for that small amount of birds....but you can try and see how it goes...I can hardly give my common ringneckeds away! :hmm

@muddy75 Thank you for your input! Guess I probably won’t get any then. I would want to keep some as pets but as I’m growing the hatchery the profitable birds are the priority.

Do you have any recommendations for any interesting or exotic looking birds that would be good for what I’m trying to do?
Maybe different type of quail, chukars, cockatiels, etc.

If you look at it as a hobby you will feel much better.If you ad up what it cost for their enclosure,feed,medicines,misalalious,plus your time,you may get a little disappointment.
Plus you need to remember predators,deaths( as ringnecks are cannibals), natural disasters may collapse your pen.And who knows what else may come along.
So if you want to raise them,do it,but think of it as a hobby,and you make a few bucks once in a while,it's good.
Plus a 10x20 pen should only have 3 birds at the most.
In N.H.,Tony.

Back
Top Bottom