Should I remove eggs from broody silkie?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jeannieo, Oct 24, 2011.

1. jeannieo

jeannieo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    At the beginning of October I found out the flock had coccidia [​IMG]. I got the Amprol and treated for a week and am now waiting out the 2 weeks so I can use the eggs again. Here is my question. I have a little broody silkie/cochin hen who I have allowed to sit on 7 eggs that had been laid. I figured why not, can't eat them anyway. I am 99% positive there is no way they could be fertile. I have two banty roos and most of the girls are standard size and Sidney the silkie roo has not been able to get a little something as he is so small and they are so big. It was comical to watch though, with him jumping and trying to get on. But anyway, this AM I went out and someone had eaten one of the eggs so I took them all out and discarded them because I don't want egg eaters. Of course, this is after the fact (my M.O. act first, then ask!). Poor Lauren Bacall thought she was doing something good and I snatched them away. Did I do the right thing? Or should I have left them? [​IMG]

2. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Chillin' With My Peeps

If you have egg eaters then removing the eggs is the correct answer. As you know correcting that habit once they start is almost impossible.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by