should i rescue newborn ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duey thompson, Jun 6, 2011.

1. duey thompson

duey thompson Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    my duck is sitting eight eggs. she is in a coop with the drake and two chickens. one of the chickens sits the eggs when the duck takes a break. if these eggs hatch, should i take the ducklings out of there? I have heard the drake might harm them and the chickens scare me to. also, should i candle them or just let nature take its course. any suggestions would be appreciated. dewdrop p.s. i do not have an incubator.

2. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Can you separate the drake? If not, you can set up a brooder and take the ducklings after they hatch.

3. duey thompson

duey thompson Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    yes, I can separate the Drake, do I do that now, before the eggs hatch? And what about the chickens?

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    If it's fuzzy and peeps the chickens will think it is a chick. As long as long as duck and the chicken don't fight over the babies, they will be fine. If there are issues, give a few to the duck and a few to the chicken in separate pens.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  5. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    Quote:I'd do it before hand so he doesn't give the hatching nest any trouble. I always have to seperate my drake, I don't take any chances anymore. It'll give you space to see how the duck and chook situation pants out

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by