Should I risk buying hatching eggs at this time of year?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ninjascrub69, Jan 2, 2011.

1. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    The average temp for this winter so far is about 25 degrees (two days ago it was 50* [​IMG] ) and i've heard of people getting frozen eggs, so how likely it that this would happen?

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

When you order chicks this time of year, ask that they be shipped with a heat pac. Most hatcheries will anyway, if they have chicks this time of year for sale.

3. KateBeauchemin

KateBeauchemin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    I'm actually shipping eggs all over the U.S. right now and had some babies just hatch in New York this weekend. :)
    I collect several times a day in my barns. And ship out right before P.O. closing hours to make sure they aren't sitting in any spot for too long, and ship priority.
    But some people don't get home to their deliveries and they sit out, had some freeze on a ladies doorstep last year. Thaw, make sure they don't crack or are cracked, room temp and incubate. Sometimes they still hatch :)

Chicks in the mail is another one. I personally wouldn't unless I was going to pick up at hatchery, but that's my personal opinion.

4. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    i've heard it's better for them to be in the cold, than to be in the heat. but of course you don't want frozen eggs. i have 3 batches in lockdown now from 3 different breeders, and i stupidly ordered them around the christmas package time. BUT, 2 sets are in wonderful shape! 10 outta 12 Ameraucans eggs are developing AND their air sacs look great! 10 outta 12 BCM also made it to lockdown, air sacs look a bit funky, but all 10 are alive and made it! my last set is the worst, it took 5 days to get from KY to NC, and one corner was smooshed and they weren't packed very well....however, all made it intact.....but with that batch, only 6 outta 13 made it to lockdown.

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Totally agree with Kate. I shipped all through winter last year without any frozen eggs-at least no one said they were frozen and had decent hatch results-50% or more-it the chance you take in that season...I have 4 packages going out today and it doesnt worry me in the least as they are all going to warmer climates-I do mail at end of day so the majority of the time they would spend sitting is in a controlled area-then their major travel time will be in warmer situations. I do use heater packs if requested and I do offer if needed.

6. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    Quote:YEA! one of those pkgs is MINE!!! can't wait for my OE!! and yes, it's warmer here....i wore shorts yesterday, it was beautiful! but today, chilly again.

7. GreenGoddess

GreenGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    Quote:My Miracle is proof that broken air sacs do NOT mean they will not develop... She had a hard life in the beginning and i didn't think she was going to make it but that was my bators fault.. when she and a few others were hatching the humidity got too low so they got shrink wrapped..

Miracle's egg is in the bottom corner (you can see it says broken air cell)...

[​IMG]

Goddess [​IMG]

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:YEA! one of those pkgs is MINE!!! can't wait for my OE!! and yes, it's warmer here....i wore shorts yesterday, it was beautiful! but today, chilly again.

LOL yes one of then is yours:) 17 beautiful eggs mostly all First generation Ameraucana x FBCM!!!! the darkest ones are 2nd generations and some speckled eggs too:)

9. growinupinfl

growinupinfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Pensacola
    I think eggs can deal with the cold better than the heat. Many have hatched eggs that have come out of the fridge, but temps in that metal can called a trailer in the blazing summer sun can reach well over a 110 degrees, some truckers say the temps in a trailer can reach over 130 degrees in the summer. If I'm thinking right, that high of a temp can mean certain death of the eggs. I personally have not had eggs shipped in the summer, but only the winter and my hatch rate is right at 50% right now.

Here is a link about the heat in trailers. I would rather risk the cold personally..

http://www.jimthetrucker.com/how-hot-does-it-get-inside-ups-shipping-trucks/

10. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    Thanks y'all, you've been very helpful (as always)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by