Should I risk it?

wornoutmomto3

Crowing
9 Years
Jan 6, 2014
Florida
My Coop
My Coop
Possible outbreak of Coryza or MG in the flock started a couple weeks ago. A couple of the sick birds had that tell-tale foul smell. Long story short I brought new birds with one, unbeknownst to me, with a bad disease. Even with quarantine measures the disease killed all my chicks and new birds within a two week period. The already established flock seems fine except one hen became very sluggish for a few days, her face started to pale, and her weight dropped. It has been quite cold here which may have contributed to her condition. The weather has warmed quite a bit today and so has her mood and energy.

Now, to what I am trying to ask. I started collecting eggs for incubation just before the outbreak began. They went into the incubator a week ago. So far 21 out of 24 are showing signs of development. I wasn't ready for a closed flock situation when the outbreak happened. I don't plan on selling hatching eggs or chicks, just eggs for eating. I am seriously considering culling and starting over. My concern is the eggs in the incubator. Should they be included in the cull for a complete fresh start or should I risk finishing the hatch in hopes they escaped the outbreak?

**Side note: eggs are collect once to twice a day, sometimes immediately after being layed. (It's nice to find a warm egg in the nest box.)

MG incubation period is 4 to 21 days depending on the strain. MG can be transmitted through eggs. Coryza incubation period is 1 to 3 days. Coryza is not transmitted through eggs. Surviving birds of either disease are carriers for life. Infected bird(s) can have both diseases at the same time and usually do.
You'll have to decide whether or not the eggs in the incubator coincide with the MG and coryza incubation periods to make the decision to cull or not.

If I allow the chicks to hatch and the disease(s) did transmit, will the chicks develope symptoms right away? Will/Can there be any tell-tale signs that the disease transmitted?

Back
Top Bottom