Should I sell figs at the farmer's market?

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
We have several small farmer's markets around us. I am considering selling my extra eggs at one.

Last night I got to thinking about our fig trees. I intend to try and put up some fig preserves this year. However, I can never use all the figs we get. Last year I got approx. 8 five gallon buckets full; plus what the chickens got. Right now, unripe, the weight of all the fruit has some of the branches bent to the ground.

They are either brown turkey or black mission figs, I'm not sure.

Would it be worth my time and effort to harvest them for sale? Otherwise I'll preserve a little, let the neighbor have all he wants and of course the chickens will be in chickie heaven.

By all means, sell your figs. Include recipies for making strawberry fig preserves
droolin.gif
my absolute favorite. And any other recipies you might have. I wish I had a fig tree.
hit.gif

Are there any other fig vendors at the markets?

Sounds very interesting (and like work) to me
big_smile.png

Silly question, I am sure you can, but..........can a person eat a fig right from the tree, a ripe one of course? (fig deprived person here - only figs I have eaten were in fig newtons *blech*)

Yeah Horsey you can eat them raw. I'm not overly fond of them. Why oh why didn't my late MIL plant mulberries instead of figs???
sad.png

There are some mulberry trees on the property, but most are in hard to reach places. Every year I have a battle trying to get some of the blackberries before the other critters find em.
hmm.png

Mmmmmmmmmmm..........berries now your talkin' my kinna food.
droolin.gif
I love them all, ok not too keen on dingle - but the rest of them
thumbsup.gif

Maybe dear loving DH could be talked into moving some mulberry trees (if they are small enough and handle-able) closer to the house or coops - or even some starts, if they are the type of tree to to that sorta thingie. Or making a nice clearing around a couple trees? (hhmmmm trees - bushes?)

Quote:
gig.gif

All of the mulberry trees I have found are way too tall - can only reach the fruit by standing in the tractor bucket. DSDs told me about one they said was easily accessible, but I never did find it. I think they were sending their evil stepmom on a wild goose chase.
hmm.png

Quote:
Send them to meeeeeeeee!
droolin.gif

But what about my poor chickens? I had hoped Thor could live long enough to get some of this years crop. Nothing that roo liked better than a ripe fig. It was the only thing he wouldn't share with his girls.

Mulberry trees??!! We can't keep ours killed. They're like tree versions of cockroaches.
Okay, maybe not that bad... but they certainly are like weeds here. Some of the berries are black when ripe and one tree has whitish berries. They produce so much even my chickens get tired of them.

Anyhow, I'd love to try a fresh fig. I've only ever eaten them dried. I think you should try to sell them.

Quote:
They are delicious fresh. They do need to be pretty soft to develop the sugars. My favorites are the variety called "Brown Turkey". They make a wonderful preserve.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom