Should I sell my "good" roo?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickenannie, Jul 14, 2008.

1. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I'm downsizing my flock(s) and decided to sell my 10 RIR older hens along with "their" RIR roo. Now I'm having second thoughts because the RIR roo is gentle and never any trouble and doesn't crow excessively or attack people. Based on what I read on BYC, maybe he's one of the "rare good ones" ?

I will still have my second BO roo and my BO hens (RIR roo is alpha). But I would have a shortage of RIR hens for my roo to be with -- there would be 4 or 5 only -- that is until my nine 6-week-old chicks grow up.

Any opinions on how easy it is to find a 'good' roo? Or is it just my superb roo-handling (ahem) that will turn out a good roo every time?

2. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    I have a 10 week old RIR Cockerel, that I sure hope turns out to be one of the good ones!!

3. chickenannie

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Well, I'm thinking it's not that hard to come by a good roo. Any idea what the percentage of "good" ones to "bad" ones is?

4. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    If it were up to me, I'd keep him. He would be fine with 4 or 5 hens until your younger ones grew up.

5. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I don't understand the situation.

Are you thinking about getting rid of your RIR rooster and then raising or buying another RIR roo later?

If that's the case, I would keep your current RIR roo. RIR roosters are notorious for being aggressive, if you have a gentle one hang on to it. If you do not need or want a RIR rooster and have other roosters that you like, go ahead and sell him.

-Kim

6. chickenannie

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Kim, I'm downsizing in general since I have a whole new crop of chicklets and also since my neighbors and I were raising the flock together and since they moved away it's just a larger group of birds than I need. I like having a purebred roo and I like these 2 breeds -- BO and RIR -- so seems worthwhile to keep both roos. I also know myself and know that I have a hard time parting ways with my chickens, so you're probably picking up on my ambivalence about making a change! Is that clearer than mud?

I guess I'm looking to find out from BYC expertise is how rare it is to find a good roo. 50/50? 90/10?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  7. chickenannie

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:Steff, I have a mixed chick that looks exactly like your avatar! What kind is yours? Mine has a brown face like that and a black body. Kind of like a penguin-face.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  8. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I think the chances of finding a good rooster depend on the breed.

I've heard that it can be quite hard to find a good RIR rooster, but I haven't heard too much hype about bad BO roosters.

-Kim

9. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    I think you should keep both roo's.

Nothing worse than "shoulda, coulda, woulda."

Odds are against you having roos' better than you have. I got rid of many but I have my original roo because he proved himself worthy. Best decision I ever made. He's my avatar.[​IMG]

Besides, when the young ones grow up the decision will be made.

10. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    definitely keep him

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by