Should I Sell the Roos Now or Wait Till They're Grown?

chicksgalore

Songster
11 Years
Jul 19, 2008
They're about 6-7 weeks old now and I'm just wondering from any with experience if I would make out better selling them now or waiting till they're full grown? I know someone who sold 1-y-o's at auction for $5.50 a month or so ago. Don't know what I'd get now.

By the time they're 1 y/o you'll almost definitely have more than $5.50 worth of feed in him and you have to put with having them chase the hens of you dont want that when they mature. Id sell them now.

Agreed... either sell them now, or eat them in 10 weeks.
tongue.png

I sold my extra roos as soon as I was certain they were roos (7 weeks old). No sense using up the extra space or feed for a critter you don't intend to keep.

IF it were me, I'd sell now-- feed is expensive, and they eat a LOT. We eat our extra roos, so, we'll feed ours for now. If we didn't, they'd be gone as soon as we knew they were roos.

Who are you selling to?
I have Barnevelder and Golden Penciled Hamburg 3 week old chicks and don't know what to do with the roos.
I have Golden Cuckoo Marans in the incubator as well.
I think I have 4 Barnevelder cockerels and maybe 3 hamburg cockerels that will be ready for a home in 3 or 4 weeks.

I'd love to find them a home, not a stew pot or have them be fed to a snake by someone on craigslist.

Anyone have any ideas? is it something I can start on now?
I'm happy to give them away to someone who would give them a good life.

(I did place my one Golden Cuckoo Maran cockerel on a farm with ONLY pullets, so he has a good place to go when he is old enough)

I would like to know also. What do others do to sell/give-away cockerals that they can't keep? I think the obvious has already been stated (kill, eat), but what are the other options. Consider keeping and killing/eating already covered.

Thanks

I gave away a pair (pullet and rooster) for free to another BYCer. I included the pullet because he was a sweet boy with an injury and we can't have roosters here. If I were in a position to have more chicks, I would fully understand eating the roosters and would probably take them to be rendered myself.

As for giving them away, you could advertise on craigslist but state your terms--happy home only--or whatever. I saw someone who wanted you to reply with your intentions (it was for another animal but same reason). I sold a rooster to a supposedly good home on there once.

We put the last ones we raised in the freezer but we didn't like that they had eaten the regular feed/corn the other chickens had gotten so until we are able to separate them/feed them differently, we're going to sell them.

As for these roosters, I'm going to take them to auction and see how we make out. I admit, it does bother me a little bit sending them off and not knowing where but it bothered me a little bit when they got butchered, too. Hey, it's all part of the plan though. I guess maybe I'm better off not knowing in a way...

Back
Top Bottom