Should I separate my broody now or wait.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by skillswife, Aug 4, 2011.

1. skillswife

skillswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    I have a large community nest box that my hen Millie has 7 eggs in. I made a door and wired it off so that she and the babies can be separated. She is due roughly the 11th, but its been warm and they are bantam eggs so I want to be prepared sooner. The eggs were candled today and very very full of chick! I have it set up with food and water for her, but is it mean to coop her up this early? The box is about 3 feet long/1ft tall and 1ft deep. I am just tired of having to dig Cluck Clucks eggs out from under her daily because she lays them right in with Millie. I worry that the daily disturbance in finding the new egg will do more harm than just separating her. Opinions are welcome!

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I like to move mine and keep them seperated from the begining. I just feel like if she's going to get off the nest cause I move her I'd rather her do it in the begining than later on!! Just my 2 cents!! Good luck with your hatch!! [​IMG]

3. skillswife

skillswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    Well this particular hen doesn't liked to be moved so thats why I am leaving her in the nesting box, but making it so I can keep her there and the other out. But she still usually gets off the nest every morning for a little run outside so if I lock her up she won't be able to do that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by