Should I separate my chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cicknmama, Mar 4, 2015.

1. cicknmama

cicknmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2014
    Hardin, Montana
    Need some advice. I bought 8 chicks different breeds and they all seem to be at varying stages. I recently had some trouble with one of my youngest chicks and thought she may not make it. She pulled through but is a little weak. My brood is made up of two very rambunctious EE. My poor little Australorp gets stepped on, jumped on, pecked at and so on. My question is, would it be beneficial to separate my EE's and White Rocks since they are the more aggressive and larger chicks? My Orpingtons and Australorps would be together as they are more docile. Or will this cause more problems later with integrating my flock?

2. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    It is best to separate them,but have chickenwire in between them.

3. Peeps61

Peeps61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    NW Florida
    If the smaller ones are suffering, I would separate them. As they grow, you can integrate them back together when they can stand their ground a little better. It's a pain, but it works.

I rescued a chick from Tractor Supply that had been getting picked on by the other chicks. They gave it to me for free. Since one chick is lonely, I bought her a companion that is obviously younger than she is. She pecked at the smaller chick at first, but calmed down and is actually mothering the smaller chick now. So, it worked out and I was able to leave them together.

Good luck!

4. cicknmama

Sep 23, 2014
    Hardin, Montana
    Thanks for the advice. I have them in a 50 gallon tote. I will run down to the local Shopko and get another one.

5. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    i think the problem is a 50 gallon tote isn't big enough to brood 8 chicks much past the first week. If these are in various stages, the bigger ones are just too cramped and taking it out on the littler ones..........

6. cicknmama

Sep 23, 2014
    Hardin, Montana
    Yeah, now that they are separated I figured that out. Poor chicks, this is my first time raising babies. Trying to read as much as I can. They seem to be a lot happier now. I can't put them outside yet as I have no electricity in our shed right now and no garage. The weather should warm up soon and they can go in their coop in about a month.

1 person likes this.
  7. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    every single one of us had our first time! maybe try finding a furniture store that will let you have an empty refrigerator box, those make good brooders!

keep us posted on how they're doing!

8. cicknmama

Sep 23, 2014
    Hardin, Montana
    Great idea! Thanks! I have separated my chicks and now have 4 to a 50 gallon tote. But I think they will outgrow those before the weather warms enough to put them outside. I will check around. Thanks again!

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    You can also get smaller boxes and join them together by removing most of one side off each box.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by