Should I separate my meat birds from gen pop?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by rehric00, Aug 27, 2013.

1. rehric00

rehric00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2013
    Hi!

I currently have a coop (11x7) for my layers. I plan on getting meat birds in the spring and I am wondering if I should build a separate area in our barn for the meat birds (ill prob get no more than 20).

Also, should I free range my meat birds? If so, will they know which coop to go to if I do two coops?

Any other info or tips would be great :) thanks in advance!

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'd put your meat birds in a different place. They eat different feed than you layers, so seperating would be a good idea. Also, meat birds are considerably less active than layers, and might get trampled by the layers, or might not be able to access the same feed and water as the layers.

You can certainly free range your broilers. However, if you get the normal CornishX broilers, they will not free range very well. They would probably just sit around and not move very far. Broilers are susceptible to heat and predator attacks, and these risks might be heightened if allowed to free range. Some people have success with free ranging, and others don't.

Hope this helps!

3. rehric00

rehric00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2013
    Thanks for your response. I had a feeling it would be better to separate them. I'm very much looking forward to raising my own meat birds!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by