Should I separate the babies???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Stewzoo, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Stewzoo

Stewzoo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2012
    This morning I woke to 2 fresh hatched babies in my coop. Mom had been sitting for the past 3.5 weeks, and another hen went broody so there were two sharing the same nest box for the past 3 days. I would gently move the newly broody hen to a new nesting box and she kept returning to the occupied nest. I checked on the babies (and the rest of the egg clutch that hadn't hatched) at about 11 am. Then again at 4pm today. One of the chicks is gone. I mean gone gone. I checked EVERYwhere for it. No sign. I don't want to think about where it went or what happened, but as they hatch, should I be separating them from mom and putting them in a broody box? I thought having momma hen (and now a 2nd mom) would be fine because that is how "nature does it". Thanks for the help from those who have done it with out an incubator before.

2. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    I would move the moms and babies into a safe place and allow them to continue to hatch their babies. While the rest of the eggs hatch, the mom can't keep a good eye on the ones that are dry and running around. Having them in a safe spot will allow the moms to hatch the rest of their clutch without having to worry about protecting their chicks.

3. Stewzoo

Stewzoo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2012
    Thank you. What I did was move one of the broody hens into a separate house with the baby. I left the other broody hen on the clutch to hatch them. I will check them 2 times daily and pull fresh babies out and put her with the mom and baby. I am exhausted and I am not even doing the hard work!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by