1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Should I separate???????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jprice2ndlt, Apr 8, 2009.

1. jprice2ndlt

jprice2ndlt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Hodges, S.C.
    I have 4 hens and a rooster. 2 of my hens stay in the coop because the other hens chase and peck them. They have been mixed for going on 3 weeks now. I just dont know if i should seperate them for awhile and let them see each other through the wire or should i just leave them together? Any help would be appreciated.

2. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    If you do separate them, make sure you leave the nice ones and move the mean ones out. Then put the mean one back in the pen after a few days. This way the pecking order has changed, and the mean ones will be going into the nice ones turf! Hope this helps.[​IMG]

3. jprice2ndlt

Apr 3, 2009
    Hodges, S.C.
    i was thinking of moving the two new ones out should i not do that?

4. moosenbudda

moosenbudda Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2009
    So. cali
    I personally would let them work it out and get the pecking order down unless one of them is really getting hurt then take it out.

5. jprice2ndlt

Apr 3, 2009
    Hodges, S.C.
    What should i do if my rooster is the main one. i saw him pull out a wad of feathers out of my buffs rearend.

6. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Couple of different possibilities here:
    1) 4 hens is generally considered too few to have a rooster, they will get mated too much. Consider adding more girls over time or subtracting the rooster.
    2) I second the opinion above of taking out the mean hens (each alone), not the nice hens. I did this with good success this year and it knocked a mean pullet right down to the bottom of the pecking order.
    3) pecking can also be a boredom, nutrition, or space issue, there's lots of info on here about this, search pecking.

Good luck, it's so frustrating when chickens don't "play nice" together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by