Should I seperate breeds?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Rooster2410, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Rooster2410

Rooster2410 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2012
    I want my Black East Indies to lay and sit on their eggs. Should I seperate them from my Rouen and Khakis so that eggs don't get all mixed up and not sat on?
    I heard that the East Indies will sit on their eggs if they are in twos or threes, and I don't know if having a bunch of other ducks and eggs laying around will bug them.

2. ShuckyDuckyQuackQuack

ShuckyDuckyQuackQuack Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2011
    TX
    I don't think so but I normally take the eggs and put them in my incubator/brooder thingy but i don't think it'll make a big difference.

3. Rooster2410

Jan 13, 2012
    I never incubated eggs, so I don't wanna learn on eggs that I'd like to see hatch. I plan on learning with my Khaki and Rouen eggs since I will have a bajillion opportunities. [​IMG] (Dont get me wrong, I'd like to see my Khakis and Rouen hatch, but I wont get many opportunities with my Indies and Mandies, so dont wanna mess up as a newb.)

4. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    If you want pure breds you need to seperate them and wait minimum 2 weeks but better if you can wait a month before you let the eggs be incubated.

5. Rooster2410

Jan 13, 2012
    lol of course thats the answer CelticOaks [​IMG] Didnt even really think of that. Doiii

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by