Should I seperate my roosters from my hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Farmergyrl23, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Farmergyrl23

Farmergyrl23 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2011
    We purchased 5 chicks in August and were told they were all hens, come to find out we ended up with 4 roosters and 1 hen! I notice them nudging my poor little hen out of the food and chasing her around. We have 2 roosters who are arleady pecking me, should I take them out and leave my other 2 roosters with my hen, the other 2 seem to still be gentle (as in not pecking or fighting). My concern was with winter coming if I take the 2 out thats less warmth for my other 3.

2. johnsons-r-us

johnsons-r-us Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Eudora, Kansas
    Wow, that's too bad you ended up with so many roos. I don't see how 1 hen would last being in with 4 roos. I would take 3 roos out and get a few more hens. Depending on your space you could have a couple of roos...but you really would need more hens in the long run. Or your hen may get really beat up. And the roos would fight.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    With that many roosters and only one hen, it is only a matter of time before your hen becomes injured. Get rid of most of your roosters and get more hens before this happens.

4. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    From what I've read, it seems that roosters will mate around 15 times a day.... times that by 4 and you can imagine what sort of life your poor little hen will have. :-( Definitely separate her before they mature.

5. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I would set up a bachelor pad area and move the boys away accept for one. I think you're hen would be best with at least 1 mate. [​IMG]

4 on 1 isn't very fair though... the poor girl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by