Should i should i not????

Discussion in 'Geese' started by MommaOrp, Jun 12, 2011.

1. MommaOrp

MommaOrp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    I have chickens and ducks, incubated, hatched, reared, raised and lost, would like to branch out and try geese. My DH says they are nasty and will bite my kids!!!! is this true? How difficult are they to care for? I have a quarter acre of land on which all my little guys roam, the geese would do the same, also i would be incubating and hatching my own. What do you guys have to say??

2. MommaOrp

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    Can someone help a lady decide!!!

3. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Not knowing anything about your children and their level of interest, its hard to say for sure, but I think most kids would be thrilled to be involved with animals on this level, and if you kids are there caring for them from day 1, the geese and kids should get along just fine.

And, well, worst case scenario, the kids can always be re-homed. (JUST KIDDING, REALLY!!![​IMG]).

4. MommaOrp

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    [​IMG] i have considered that option! my kids are very involved my LO is 3 though, i think he's worried because she's so small. How many is the ideal in my sort circumstance?

5. bagendhens

bagendhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Outside the Boundries
    as long as the kids respect the geese space during breeding season, they should be fine...
    geese actually when raised form dayolds bond wuite nicely wiht their humans, but they can be a little agressive during breeding season...
    look for sweeter natured geese breeds like the americans (buff, lavender ect) pilgrims, pomeranians, sebbies, ect...

the chinese and other "swan" geese tend to be a little more agressive overall.

6. countrychix

countrychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    Frewsburg, NY
    With only a quarter acre of land I would recommend just a pair. We have 8 young geese at this time roamimg our 1 1/2 acre lawn and they have eaten it down to nothing but the unappetizing weeds. [​IMG]

7. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I do not recommend geese around small children unless the family has a lot of experience with poultry and can keep the geese and children completely separated if necessary.

Geese bite hard and their bill is just at face height to a toddler

8. AllthingsG

AllthingsG Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2011
    How old are you kids? My geese are not agressive but I have teenage boys and don't worry about it too much. I keep Roman Tufted, Tufted Buffs & Sebbies. No agression what so ever from any of them - I know have 25! I'll have to pair down before this next winter but it'll be hard. I really love em. They free range all day and then are locked into two goat barns to keep them safe at night.

Good Luck with your decision- let us know what you decide.

Joni

9. MommaOrp

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    my kids are 3 and 7, they interact very well with the ducks and chickens but i've heard about agressive geese and as much as i'd love to keep them, i am worried about the kids. I also don't want to make the geese unhappy if they don't like the children, thats why i was going to hatch my own. we can separate completely if need be. Maybe i should wait till there a little older? Thanks so much for your input [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by