Should I? Shouldn't I?? Need some advice

The Coop-D-etat

And to you good madame, I ruffle mine Feathers 🐓
Feb 6, 2021
Bismarck, North Dakota
I have some great news! We'll kinda stressful. So my lavender orpington Wisteria is I'm 95% positive is going broody. She has been in the nestbox the last two days I took her out to let her go to the bathroom and eat and drink some. She stayed out of the box for like a solid hour, but then went back in. I gave her all the fake eggs to sit on. And was thinking should I add some more?? The question is though. Will they be ok throughout the winter? Mind you we see -15° weather on a normal day here in North Dakota. Have you let a hen hatch some in fall?? I have an order ready. 2 olive eggers, 3 heritage barred rocks, and 2 more lavender orps. But I want to make sure she's serious She hasn't plucked her belly feathers yet. Also would it be wise to see if she will adopt new baby chicks? In case not ill have a brooder set up. But not sure if it's worth the hassle. She is only 27 weeks. Not quite sure what to do yet. Is it even worth my time??

Thank you for your time and thoughts,
Ry

Are you wanting to give her hatching eggs, or day old chicks?

If the former, make sure she is broody for at least one week to know she's committed. I personally would not give them to her if this is the first time she has gone broody as you don't know if she will just give up mid-way through.

If you want to give her day-old chicks, try to time it around 3-4 weeks into her broodiness, to match up to when the 'fake' eggs would be hatching. Do be ready though as you don't know what kind of mother she'll be until you try.

As for timing, how long until the weather turns? In 5-6 weeks, those babies will be well on their way to feathering out and chickens are much more winter tolerant than heat tolerant most of the time.

Are you wanting to give her hatching eggs, or day old chicks?

If the former, make sure she is broody for at least one week to know she's committed. I personally would not give them to her if this is the first time she has gone broody as you don't know if she will just give up mid-way through.

If you want to give her day-old chicks, try to time it around 3-4 weeks into her broodiness, to match up to when the 'fake' eggs would be hatching. Do be ready though as you don't know what kind of mother she'll be until you try.

As for timing, how long until the weather turns? In 5-6 weeks, those babies will be well on their way to feathering out and chickens are much more winter tolerant than heat tolerant most of the time.
I would want to give her day Olds, i figure this is my chance to add more breeds I have been eyeballing. This would be her first time being a broody which is why I'm also concerned. And figured I'd wait until I know for sure that she's 100% invested. And also worried that she could reject them. That being said I will have a setup just in case she decides to go Hansel and Grettal on the poor things.

I'm guessing around 5-6 weeks would be around 30-40 and at night 20-30° won't be quite in the negatives yet. So it's a small frame for me being comfortable with the whole process.

The order I have waiting for me to place said it would be able to ship Oct 12th

I would want to give her day Olds, i figure this is my chance to add more breeds I have been eyeballing. This would be her first time being a broody which is why I'm also concerned. And figured I'd wait until I know for sure that she's 100% invested. And also worried that she could reject them. That being said I will have a setup just in case she decides to go Hansel and Grettal on the poor things.

I'm guessing around 5-6 weeks would be around 30-40 and at night 20-30° won't be quite in the negatives yet. So it's a small frame for me being comfortable with the whole process.

The order I have waiting for me to place said it would be able to ship Oct 12th
As mentioned, try to time it to match a hatch on the dummy eggs. Too early and her hormones may not be in the right place.

Make sure she flips into 'momma mode' and starts ticking like a time bomb. Have your brooder set up and ready to go before offering her chicks and plan on keeping an eye on her to make sure she takes to mothering.
Orpingtons are supposed to make great mother's, so hopefully instinct will kick in.

That being said, she'll still be like a teen mum, likely stress out and libel to make mistakes. My poor silkie really fumbled through her first hatch, though she was a stellar mom. Particularly, their self-care goes out the window. So be ready to support her through it... They do get better the next time around.

As mentioned, try to time it to match a hatch on the dummy eggs. Too early and her hormones may not be in the right place.

Make sure she flips into 'momma mode' and starts ticking like a time bomb. Have your brooder set up and ready to go before offering her chicks and plan on keeping an eye on her to make sure she takes to mothering.
Orpingtons are supposed to make great mother's, so hopefully instinct will kick in.

That being said, she'll still be like a teen mum, likely stress out and libel to make mistakes. My poor silkie really fumbled through her first hatch, though she was a stellar mom. Particularly, their self-care goes out the window. So be ready to support her through it... They do get better the next time around.
Ok sounds good! That's why I specifically got orps because I've heard such great things about them when it comes to the mothering aspect.

Yea a bit nervous, will make sure she gets some time to stretch and eat,drink, and poop. If she persists to the point I'm certain I am going to make a broody pen underneath the nesting boxes. because I don't want her having babies that high off the ground and have one fall out. I'll make sure to have food/water and nice peaceful place where the others will leave her alone. Especially my one Barnevelder Belladonna she makes so much racket when there is a hen in the boxes there's four of them but if there is even one in a box she has a conniption. 😅

Ok sounds good! That's why I specifically got orps because I've heard such great things about them when it comes to the mothering aspect.

Yea a bit nervous, will make sure she gets some time to stretch and eat,drink, and poop. If she persists to the point I'm certain I am going to make a broody pen underneath the nesting boxes. because I don't want her having babies that high off the ground and have one fall out. I'll make sure to have food/water and nice peaceful place where the others will leave her alone. Especially my one Barnevelder Belladonna she makes so much racket when there is a hen in the boxes there's four of them but if there is even one in a box she has a conniption. 😅
My flock is small and I only have two boxes. The girls hate it when there's only one to use. She broods like clockwork for 5 weeks straight. I have long since given up on breaking her, but at least she takes care of herself now that she's a bit older and I don't have to micro-manage.

Her first hatch had her downright depressed and I had to sit with her for a whole day for emotional support as she was throwing out her eggs at day 19. She perked up heaps and was able to finish the hatch after that, thankfully. She is such a little stress pot.

My flock is small and I only have two boxes. The girls hate it when there's only one to use. She broods like clockwork for 5 weeks straight. I have long since given up on breaking her, but at least she takes care of herself now that she's a bit older and I don't have to micro-manage.

Her first hatch had her downright depressed and I had to sit with her for a whole day for emotional support as she was throwing out her eggs at day 19. She perked up heaps and was able to finish the hatch after that, thankfully. She is such a little stress pot.
Oh wow I had no idea that could happen. You think it was because it was her first go around with it? Maybe cause she wasn't able to he with the rest of the flock? Wow. That's really good to know. Will have to keep an eye on my girl then. It also makes me worry a bit because she's so young I mean she just started laying 2nd week of August. She just seems so young to me to already wanting to hatch a clutch

Oh wow I had no idea that could happen. You think it was because it was her first go around with it? Maybe cause she wasn't able to he with the rest of the flock? Wow. That's really good to know. Will have to keep an eye on my girl then. It also makes me worry a bit because she's so young I mean she just started laying 2nd week of August. She just seems so young to me to already wanting to hatch a clutch
Broody's gotta brood. When those hormones run strong, there is only so much you can do. My silkie broods regardless of the weather. She lays an egg a day for around 12 days, then she sits for 4-5 weeks, then takes a month or so off to recover.

We gave her a clutch of 4 eggs when she was just shy of a year old. One did fail around day 19, we think, and this might have been what upset her. She was throwing 'all' the eggs though, not just the one. That could have also been what caused that one to fail too... We'll never know for sure. It was a bit early in the season too, still a bit cold and I think she was terrified to leave them for any amount of time.

Broody's gotta brood. When those hormones run strong, there is only so much you can do. My silkie broods regardless of the weather. She lays an egg a day for around 12 days, then she sits for 4-5 weeks, then takes a month or so off to recover.

We gave her a clutch of 4 eggs when she was just shy of a year old. One did fail around day 19, we think, and this might have been what upset her. She was throwing 'all' the eggs though, not just the one. That could have also been what caused that one to fail too... We'll never know for sure. It was a bit early in the season too, still a bit cold and I think she was terrified to leave them for any amount of time.
Oh wow, sounds like you have one heck of a chicken there. That I mean itself is sad, but it just shows how good of a broody she really is, if that makes any sense!

Oh wow, sounds like you have one heck of a chicken there. That I mean itself is sad, but it just shows how good of a broody she really is, if that makes any sense!
It does.

She's always been a silly sort, being a silkie. Always quite the 'prude' as a chick, seemed more like an alien imposter observing her shaver sisters and trying to figure out how to be normal, but failing miserably when she tried.

Not sure if this is the case with all silkies, or just our girl (as she's our only one)but she does not chicken like a normal chicken... That's for sure.

Back
Top Bottom