Should I start antibiotics??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BethesdaChicks, Dec 7, 2016.

1. BethesdaChicks

BethesdaChicks New Egg

Sep 3, 2016
    Tennessee
    Hi - looking for advice from someone with more experience. This is my first flock. Naomi died on Sunday. She had been having trouble breathing for a week. Breathing through her mouth and extending her neck. No mucus, watery eyes. She was eat/drinking and acting pretty normal besides the breathing. I have sent her to the lab for testing. No parasites or avian influenza. I'm waiting on bacterial and viral results.

I am now concerned about the other 11 chicks. They are acting fine except maybe a little quieter than usual. I don't think one of the roosters is crowing. And I'm noticing some whitish spots on a couple of their combs. My husband says I'm over reacting but I don't want to loose any more of them. I have Oxytetracycline antibiotics from the Feed store I can mix in with their water. The vet says to wait for the culture results and then they'll assess. But I hate to wait longer if they have something. What would you do? Pics of the spots attached.

[​IMG][/IMG]

2. BethesdaChicks

BethesdaChicks New Egg

Sep 3, 2016
    Tennessee
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

If the Vet said wait?.........I would wait then.......The results will help in determining what Meds to use..........

Best of luck.....

Cheers!

4. mich9510

mich9510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2016
    Southwest PA
    I would also wait. Antibiotics are specific for groups of bacteria. For example, they may target gram positive cocci. That means if the bacteria is gram negative, it won't work. Also, antibiotics don't work on virus' at all. You might end up giving a medication to your flock that is having no effect at all. That would also put your flock at risk for side effects and antibiotic resistance. Just be patient. Things will work out the way they're supposed to.

5. BethesdaChicks

BethesdaChicks New Egg

Sep 3, 2016
    Tennessee
    Ok thanks for the support...I'll just breathe. And wait. Hopefully all will be fine

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by