Should I start her on antibiotics?

Ciqala

Songster
6 Years
Apr 14, 2013
New Hampshire
This morning I discovered one of my red sexlinks has gashes where her wings meet her body, **** rooster. I took this pic before cleaning it/them. I cleaned it w/peroxide and put bacitracin ointment on them, have her in the house until it heals. It definitely has some infection going on, so I'm wondering if I should start her on Tylan... thoughts, advice?

I use betadine or chlorhexidine to clean wounds, not peroxide. Tylan is used for respiratory infections... not sure it's an appropriate antibiotic for wounds.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Peroxide can be used, but it is probably best to use it only once since it is believed to prevent healing. As Kathy said an antiseptic medical soap would be best, and tylan is better for respiratory infection. Clavamox is a good antibiotic for wounds. Here is one site where it comes in liquid or tablets. I'm not sure if it requires a prescription to order it, but you can check: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...&catargetid=1570172648&cadevice=c&cagpspn=pla

I don't think the wound looks severe enough to need systemic antibiotics. I think that if you clean it well and can get some ointment theere she should heal up fine. I would only give antibiotics if you fear the wound will lead to big infection or you see massive inflammation or pus in the area.

You are welcome. I hope she heals fast. If her wound isn't very deep you probably could hold off on the antibiotics, but just watch for signs of infection.

I hope so too, any idea {about?} how long something like this takes to heal for a chicken? In other words, how long do I have a pooping all over the floor house guest? I have her in a crate, but will be letting her out to meander around as often as I can. It stinks I can't put a diaper on her.

Back
Top Bottom