1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Should i start my flock as day old chickens or should i start with a few mature birds.

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jonnychicken, May 22, 2016.

1. jonnychicken

jonnychicken New Egg

May 20, 2016
    Hi All,
    My coop and run should be ready in about 3 weeks so I'm wondering if I should buy all day old chicks or if i should start with a few mature birds and then add a few young ones?

Any help is appreciated!

Jon

2. Rod-T

Rod-T Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington
    Depends. . Some times you can find 6 month pullets reasonable. . If there too expensive. . Buying chicks is good too. Buying chicks gives you more breed options.. but you'll have to wait 6 months for eggs..
    I wouldn't by older hens.. too many people lie say there a year old..when there 2 or older. Pullets you should be able to tell.

3. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    The learning curve is more gentle with pullets, as opposed to chicks (and less demanding). As Rod-T suggests, getting a hold of point-of-lay pullets (those that are almost at laying age - say 4-6 months) is a great option, rather than buying hens that are already laying (since its difficult to tell exactly how old they are).

You'll soon want more chickens, and after a while building up your experience with the pullets, it will make the move to raising chicks that much easier and successful.

Cheers
    CT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by